Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need cute craft ideas for the holidays (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-cute-craft-ideas-holidays-t200911.html)

hsquiltingmom 09-19-2012 06:38 AM

need cute craft ideas for the holidays

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to possibly teach a demonstration or class to make some crafts for the holidays. I have been asked to keep it low cost, and I would like some ideas. I could do the 10 minute table runner, but I would also like some other ideas. If they can be free that would be great. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

hsquiltingmom

Sewnoma 09-19-2012 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about reusable sleeves for hot cups? I took a cardboard sleeve from Starbucks as a template, added a little "flange" to make it a full circle and used fabric and batting pieces out of my scrap bins for the whole project. Put it together inside out, flipped it out-side-out and topstitched around the edges a few times. It was a last second birthday gift for my husband (who does electronic music) so I found a decorative stitch that looked sort of like a sound wave and added that across the middle. Then sewed the flange down to the other side to make it a circle. Took me maybe an hour? And only used scraps, so it's environmentally friendly on two levels! He uses it almost every day. :) Hardest part was closing it up into a circle at the end (last step) - had to really squeeze it in there. But it worked out ok. Not bad for a seat-of-the-pants project!

I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year. :)

lynnie 09-19-2012 07:37 AM

how about using velcro on the tab, then its adjustable,
someone w
else on the3 board did these i9n bright cottons for a summer bash, it's a great idea to come up with

Scissor Queen 09-19-2012 07:52 AM

Join Pinterest. You'll see more cute Christmas crafts than you can do in a year!!

RedGarnet222 09-19-2012 07:53 AM

Mug rugs are fast too. Just a thought. You could do them in really fun fabrics. There is also luggage tags or those cute name tags that the girls are wearing on nice cords at the quilt shows (like a necklace).

A fabric or felted flower pin for your jacket would be pretty quick and easy to do. The hobby store sells the sew on pin backs in bulk.

Oh! pot holders would be a good one too. Or how about a pp ornament or gift box for the tree?

DawnA 09-19-2012 08:29 AM

coasters with snowmen, snowflake, stocking or Christmas tree applique would be fast and cute!

QuiltnNan 09-19-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5525666)
I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year. :)

this is a cute idea!

mic-pa 09-19-2012 09:22 AM

I love the Snappy bags, have made several as gifts. Takes about 30 minutes to do. Made with scraps or sometimes a theme fabric that fits the person.

CajunQuilter2 09-19-2012 09:35 AM

The purse size tissue holders seem popular as well, lots of members on the board do them, could probably find a tute on here from one of them if needed.

LadyElisabeth 09-19-2012 11:31 AM

Love all your ideas. I have been looking for easy things to make for the TV Christmas program