Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help on Satin Stitch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-satin-stitch-t184428.html)

Jenniky 03-30-2012 05:59 AM

Need Help on Satin Stitch

1 Attachment(s)
Im working on a quilt that has applique. So far all applique I have in my short quilting has bee done using the blanket stitch which I learned from a class. I would like to make this quilt using the satin stitch to go around the applique. Here is a picture of my result. Im not real happy with it. I had a lot of trouble with the tight turns and lots of puckering of the fabric as you can see. Was hoping for some help or links to good tutorials on this sort of stitching. Thanks in advance for helping. :) :) :)

MoanaWahine 03-30-2012 06:06 AM

I have been holding off on doing this for the same reason you are asking this question. I have been told one thing, when doing a satin stitch applique, you will need a stabilizer on the back to help in the puckering and shrinkage. Have not tried this yet, so waiting to see what a more experienced person states. Thanks for the question on this.

Val in IN 03-30-2012 06:06 AM

Actually, it's not that bad for your first attempt. As with everything else, it's a matter of practice and "tweaking" your stitch adjustments. Next time, perhaps try using a stabilizer on the back, just like you would for machine embroidery, because that is essentially what you are doing when you satin stitch. It may help with the puckering. Good for you for trying a new tenchnique! This is how we learn and grow :thumbup:

Nanamoms 03-30-2012 06:09 AM

Goodness, you didn't do a bad job at all! Sometime even using an embroidery machine, you will get puckers. I don't have any links to share; however, you can press the puckers out. Lay a towel on your ironing board with the applique face done and press (not iron) with steam. Check it every few seconds so that you don't over press.

Hopefully another board member can give you some tips also!!

crashnquilt 03-30-2012 06:20 AM

Satin stitch is a dense stitch so you do need a stabilizer on the back. I would suggest a medium to heavy weight tearaway stabilizer. That should be easy to remove once your stitching is done.

Lori S 03-30-2012 06:53 AM

I use Stitch and Tear ( stabilizer ) for all of my satin stitch applique , it makes a world of difference. When doing satin stitch the heavier the stabilzer the better the results.

trif 03-30-2012 07:08 AM

Yes on stabilizer, also looks like you just need to stop, with needle down and pivot, then restart on your turns, this will help on turns, you really did a good job for first attempt. Don't be to hard on yourself.

davis2se 03-30-2012 07:41 AM

What most of the other posters said about stabilizer. I use a fairly heavy tear away stabilizer when I am doing satin stitch applique, and rarely if ever have puckering problems. Also, I experiment (most every time, because I forget from one experience to another) with needle placement and turning. For example, if I'm turning fabric to the right should my needle stop - before the turn - on the right or the left. One of these days I'll write it down after I again experiment....
and by the way, I think that your applique is lovely, and I am sure with some heavy duty pressing you can get those puckers under control.

jcrow 03-30-2012 08:05 AM

I've never done the satin stitch and I'm so glad that I read this thread as I was thinking about doing it for my wall hanging I just finished. I never thought about stabilizer. Thanks QB members!

Treasureit 03-30-2012 08:11 AM

Agree with needing stabilizer. I do a lot of machine applique and I use coffee filters for stabilizer and don't have a problem. Turns take some practice... turning left stop with the needle down to the right. Right turn - needle down on the left. You better try that on a practice piece first...it is hard to remember without doing it.