Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-t211700.html)

tesspug 01-22-2013 02:03 PM

I like the dark purple. Depending on the charity, what if you appliqued something on the border. Hearts come to mind because of the color.

love to sew 01-22-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5805640)
(sorry, I messed up the cropping and was too lazy to go back and fix it)

Here's an idea of what it would like with borders - darkest purple, med purple, med pink, lighter pink.

These borders are 10" (sides) and 3" (top/bottom) for a quilt that will be ~60x95

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390037[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]390036[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]390038[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]390039[/ATTACH]

So nice of you to add the border pictures for her to be able to decide. Any one of them would be beautiful as what she has to start with is gorgeous. I like the right side of both - the lighter purple or the lighter pink but it may look different when you look at the actual fabric choices you have. But you can see that the wide border is just fine. You did a beautiful job. Please post when completed.

MadQuilter 01-22-2013 03:04 PM

I would add a very narrow border of a pink (solid-reading) and then the wide dark purple to frame it. If you added more bargello strips it would take away from the ribbon design in the center in my opinion. I would also not embellish the border for the same reason.

callen 01-22-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5805688)
Your top is beautiful I would make borders purple and you could make narrower borders until it is the width you want it. Like 2-1/2" - 3-1/2" etc. I have done that many times. I think smaller borders will look nicer. You could finish with a 4-1/2" or 5-1/2 unfinshed last border.

I agree with narrower borders, maybe different shades of purple. I find the wide borders make that gorgeous quilt look out of sync, at least IMHO.

Buckeye Rose 01-22-2013 03:16 PM

You could add a border of the purple, narrower at the top and bottom so as not to make it much longer, but wider and more in proportion....like a 2" border at the top and bottom, but a 6" border on the sides.....if you don't have enough of one fabric, then do a 1" on top/bottom, and a 4" on the sides, then do another border of another fabric, also doing a wider set on the sides.....JMHO....but it is a beautiful quilt and someone will be very happy with it ;)

Tartan 01-22-2013 03:18 PM

​I vote for the purple border too. That is going to be awesome finished! Your center looks wonderful.

barny 01-22-2013 03:22 PM

Either one of the purples will work really pretty. JMHO. I love it.

Barbshobbies 01-22-2013 03:22 PM

It looks long and narrow, but if I would ever get a quilt that beautiful, I would keep it for a sofa cover 0r for a day bed. But it seams you need it now, I liked the purple boarder.

QuiltnNan 01-22-2013 03:36 PM

i like the lighter purple for the borders. you did a great job with the bargello

skowron5 01-22-2013 03:42 PM

Thank you all for the nice comments. Now I have several idea's to choose from. I have been lucky that breast cancer has not been in my family, but I have friends that have survived. It is a cause that I really care about. I did not know the lady that the event is for, but I guess she was very special to our community. I hope they will get a bit of money for this.