Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Never again!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/never-again-t171204.html)

Retired Nurse 12-06-2011 05:23 PM

Never again!!!

In a weak moment I decided to make quilts for 3 of the grandchildren for Christmas. They came back from the quilter on Dec 1st. I have to have the bindings on all 3 before Dec 14th as they are being shipped out of state. I finished the binding on one today, two more to go. Christmas decorating & baking will have to wait until these are done. Lesson: Three quilts to complete at Christmas was a not so smart idea.

Lori S 12-06-2011 05:36 PM

I did the same thing last year. 3 quilts before Christmas ... this year one quilt before christmas .. Binding is on and ready to go in the mail. I had been where you are!!! I do feel your pain.

Airwick156 12-06-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Nurse (Post 4758060)
In a weak moment I decided to make quilts for 3 of the grandchildren for Christmas. They came back from the quilter on Dec 1st. I have to have the bindings on all 3 before Dec 14th as they are being shipped out of state. I finished the binding on one today, two more to go. Christmas decorating & baking will have to wait until these are done. Lesson: Three quilts to complete at Christmas was a not so smart idea.

2 Christmases ago, I like some dumb person that I was that year...made 7 yep you read that right 7 quilts for Christmas gifts....NEVER AGAIN. I started them on October 28, finished the binding on the 7th one ON THE WAY to the Christmas Party. Learned a lesson there. Glad you got your done. :)

Lois-nounoe 12-06-2011 06:35 PM

I once made a queen sized quilt in one week from start to finish for a graduation gift! That was a close one but I had to tie it because I didn't have time to hand quilt it. I wasn't about to quilt a biggy on my regular machine. NEVER AGAIN!

auntpiggylpn 12-06-2011 10:02 PM

I too am in the 3 quilts before christmas boat! I have one top done, the other top cut out and the other quilt fabric still in the bag! I have a very tough class this month so it doesn't give me time during the week to quilt so I have to sew frantically on Fridays and Saturdays. Fortunately, only one is going out of state, I have until Dec 25 for the other 2! I will get them done but gotta pass this class too!

Jim 12-06-2011 10:23 PM

I am working on 14...two Kings...and 12 throws (almost twin sized)...have one king top finished other half finished and 7 of the throw tops finished...will have all but the last king top finished by sunday...and then on to marathon quilting...luckily we have a mid arm, so I can get them on and off asap...but the bindings are the part I like least

Moonglow 12-06-2011 10:31 PM

I did the same thing about 3 years ago. We had a 7 hour car trip to get to their place and I was hand-stitching the bindings all the way. It was worth the effort as the three grandchildren loved their quilts.

GrannieAnnie 12-06-2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Nurse (Post 4758060)

every year I swear I'm not going to get so many Christmas projects going--------every year I start even more.
Sounds like overextending ourselves seems to be a trait common to all.

katigirl 12-07-2011 12:51 AM

We all have to remember how busy this time of year is and try to allow ourselves more time for things like finishing projects for christmas.

weatheread 12-07-2011 02:04 AM

If it weren't for the last minute I would never get anything done . Always tomorrow till it has to be done by then then I hurry like a mad woman to get it finished