Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new PfAff, new Bernina 710 or used Pfaff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-pfaff-new-bernina-710-used-pfaff-t210058.html)

TexasSunshine 01-04-2013 05:20 PM

I agree with several others on here about the IDT on the Pfaffs. I would rather sew on the Pfaff (an older one bought in 1986 and I sew on it every day I sew). It does not compare with sewing with the separate walking foot I have to put on my Brother. I am looking at the new Pfaff Ambition (I think that is the name of it). I use the IDT engaged on nearly everything I sew. It will sew through thick or thin, never failed me. Our local dealer is fantastic.

ktbb 01-04-2013 05:32 PM

I can't speak to the Pfaff or Bernina, but do want to emphasize the danger in buying any machine via internet if it 's not from the manufacturer...not only could it not work, but with some companies, if you didn't purchase it from them or their authorized dealer, they won't fix it if it needs it.

leaha 01-04-2013 05:46 PM

I had an older Pfaff 1229 my sister talked me out of, still miss it, have 3, 7570's and one 2056 all have IDT and really love it, would not have any thing else.

alleyoop1 01-05-2013 06:07 AM

Go to your dealers, both Pfaff and Bernina - if you can and try out both machines, find out what the warranty is and if your presser feet will fit the new Bernina. See if there are any gently used machines with a warranty that you could buy. Do your homework. Don't take suggestions from someone else - you may have a totally different need - budget - and method of doing things.

scrapinmema 01-05-2013 08:22 AM

I had a old (1977) Pfaff and when it broke and couldn't be repaired I purchased the Baby Lock Serenade. Love it as much as I did my Pfaff. What ever you purchase try them out to see which one fits your needs.

asimplelife 01-05-2013 08:38 AM

I'm a huge fan of Pfaff's IDT... I leave it attached all the time and it's a joy for accurate piecing with very little pinning. Mine is a Quiltstyle that I bought in 2002. After reading so much about the newer Pfaff's that some do not like as well I just bought Juki machines but will be keeping my Pfaff too.

Knitette 01-05-2013 09:18 AM

I'm not a very experienced sewer (or quilter). I bought a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 a couple of months ago and must confess to noticing a big difference even in very day sewing with the IDT. I didn't have the IDT down a for Ten-Minute table runner at Christmas - left up for a special fancy stitch -and could clearly see the difference when I remembered to put it down for the next one.

(The main reason I bought this machine was for the auto presser-foot lift, for pivoting appliqué. I love the way you can set so the foot comes up a smidge automatically, with the needle down. A huge time-saver!)

gneebee 01-09-2013 07:40 PM

Thank you for all of the feedback on this. It gives me lot to think about. Since I'm not in a hurry, I'll really do some research.

Milli 01-09-2013 07:55 PM

ITD is wonderful I have it on my 2048 Pfaff, only complaint is my machine was less than two years old and I lost the mother board, this year I was sewing a denim rag quilt and had to refill a bobbin went back sewing and now the Pfaff won't forward the fabric it needs to go to the shOp again, I haven used this machine very much seems to be a bit finicky.

KarynneStorm 01-09-2013 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by grammysharon (Post 5762151)
I have an 830 with the dual feed feet and love it!!!!

I have one of these as well. It's good to see there are still some kicking around.

Karynne