Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Sewing Machine recommendations please . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-recommendations-please-t130542.html)

susieqwva 06-14-2011 04:55 PM

I would like to purchase a new sewing machine. Right now I have a Viking, but have never been very happy with it. I am an intermediate quilter . . . . what brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks quilting friends!
susieqwva

SharBear 06-14-2011 05:01 PM

I purchased a used Bernina and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Look at your local dealer and see if they have any good deals. If you want new - I would go with a Janome; my mom has a smaller one that she takes to classes and it sews like a dream.

susieqwva 06-14-2011 05:05 PM

Thanks. I have a "baby" Janome, a Sewist 521 and it is so much quieter than my other machine.

Thanks!

QuiltnLady1 06-14-2011 05:09 PM

Depends on what you want to use the machine for.

I have had the Janome 6500 and loved it. I recently bought the Janome Horizon 7700 and love it as well. The 7700 has a free arm, which was one of my deciding factors. DD now has the 6500 and adores it.

JUNEC 06-14-2011 05:10 PM

I would go to a sewing machine store and try different machines to see which one you like and sews best for you

jillnjo 06-14-2011 05:11 PM

I have sewn on Janomes for the last several years and now have the 7700 and love it. I would consider a used machine if I didn't feel I could spend top dollar. I have seen great machines for sale where someone has just upgraded and never put a lot of hours on the trade-in. Good luck!

OCQuilts 06-14-2011 05:21 PM

The best machines are Bernina's. Are you comfortable with your dealer, will they offer you support? There are lots of things to consider. A Bernina is built to last years, and boasts a 20 year mechanical warranty. All machines have the ability to sew very well. And there are machines that offer a lot of options for less money, but for durability and quality its Bernina. Good luck in your search!

Maia B 06-14-2011 05:21 PM

I have two modern models, the Bernina 440 QE (which I bought used) and the Babylock Quest Plus. I LOVE them both, don't know how I'd choose if forced. The Quest Plus has been replaced/upgraded by the Serenade. I personally like having multiple machines. The 440 has narrower feed dogs, better for tight curves, 1/8" seam allowances, tiny work. The stitch quality and precision are superb. The Quest Plus has gorgeous stitches, 9mm wide, built-in dual feed. Both have knee lifts, needle up/down, sewing w/o the foot control. One big advantage of the Bernina is that the throat plate pops out for easier changing to a straight stitch plate and cleaning underneath. The QP, like most machines, has two screws to change the plate. But it has 1" more in the harp and the IDT (built-in dual feed, like a built-in walking foot). I've also only heard good thing about Janomes and Juki. If you only need a straight-stitch, Juki and Brother have great machines for that-high speed, 9" harps, auto-cut. Happy hunting!

vagabondmom 06-14-2011 05:29 PM

I recently purchased a Babylock Symphony after sewing on a Kenmore for 35+ years. I've only had it a couple of weeks but so far really like it.

mamaw 06-14-2011 05:30 PM

I think the Janome Horizon 7700 offers alot for the money. I know I really am enjoying mine!