Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sewing Machine recommendations please . . .

I would like to purchase a new sewing machine. Right now I have a Viking, but have never been very happy with it. I am an intermediate quilter . . . . what brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks quilting friends!
    susieqwva

I purchased a used Bernina and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Look at your local dealer and see if they have any good deals. If you want new - I would go with a Janome; my mom has a smaller one that she takes to classes and it sews like a dream.

Thanks. I have a "baby" Janome, a Sewist 521 and it is so much quieter than my other machine.

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to use the machine for.

I have had the Janome 6500 and loved it. I recently bought the Janome Horizon 7700 and love it as well. The 7700 has a free arm, which was one of my deciding factors. DD now has the 6500 and adores it.

I would go to a sewing machine store and try different machines to see which one you like and sews best for you

I have sewn on Janomes for the last several years and now have the 7700 and love it. I would consider a used machine if I didn't feel I could spend top dollar. I have seen great machines for sale where someone has just upgraded and never put a lot of hours on the trade-in. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    The best machines are Bernina's. Are you comfortable with your dealer, will they offer you support? There are lots of things to consider. A Bernina is built to last years, and boasts a 20 year mechanical warranty. All machines have the ability to sew very well. And there are machines that offer a lot of options for less money, but for durability and quality its Bernina. Good luck in your search!

I have two modern models, the Bernina 440 QE (which I bought used) and the Babylock Quest Plus. I LOVE them both, don't know how I'd choose if forced. The Quest Plus has been replaced/upgraded by the Serenade. I personally like having multiple machines. The 440 has narrower feed dogs, better for tight curves, 1/8" seam allowances, tiny work. The stitch quality and precision are superb. The Quest Plus has gorgeous stitches, 9mm wide, built-in dual feed. Both have knee lifts, needle up/down, sewing w/o the foot control. One big advantage of the Bernina is that the throat plate pops out for easier changing to a straight stitch plate and cleaning underneath. The QP, like most machines, has two screws to change the plate. But it has 1" more in the harp and the IDT (built-in dual feed, like a built-in walking foot). I've also only heard good thing about Janomes and Juki. If you only need a straight-stitch, Juki and Brother have great machines for that-high speed, 9" harps, auto-cut. Happy hunting!

I recently purchased a Babylock Symphony after sewing on a Kenmore for 35+ years. I've only had it a couple of weeks but so far really like it.

I think the Janome Horizon 7700 offers alot for the money. I know I really am enjoying mine!

I love my Janome 6600P. For the price, it is a great machine.

We bought a new Janome 6600P two weeks ago and I love it! It's a terrific sewing machine and doesn't hesitate to help me out if I'm having a ditzy day. The Horizon is popular but it wasn't what I wanted though I do have a year to change my mind and "trade up". Not gonna happen! :D DH said to get what I wanted and would be happy with and I made the right decision for me. We were both impressed with the dealer, too.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good recommendations, personally I absolutely love my Elna Quilter's Dream, but I think that the most important thing is to go to a dealer/s and test drive some machines that have what you want it to do. The dealer might even have a high end trade in that would be perfect for you, that's how I got my Quilter's Dream. The one thing I, personally would stay away from are NEW Singers, OLD Singers would be good, in my opinion.

Depends on how much you have to spend. Bernina is taking trades because some people are buying the 830 which is 12000.00 My girlfriend bought a used one for 1,000. I have a 440 and I lov it!

Blog Entries
    Before I purchased my new machine (Brother NX 2000) I checked Janome. Nice machine but the dealer told me that the warranty would not necessarily follow the machine if I moved.

Blog Entries
    I would definitely try out Pfaff, Bernina and Janome machines at dealerships. The Pfaff is really nice for piecing because of the built-in even feed, but the placement of the presser foot lifter drives me nuts! Love my Bernina 1230, but it's a really old machine now; not sure I would love the newer Bernina's as much (haven't tried any out lately). Janome offers a lot of features for less money (I think) than Pfaff or Bernina.

It's a lot like buying a car. You need to test drive one to figure out what you like and don't like.

I have a Janome Memory Craft 6300. I come from a family of only having Janome's, so it's what I'm used to. I really like the amount of features it has for the price. Plus, I have the option to trade up next spring, but I really love this machine. It's workhorse and durable. That's my two cents :).

Love my Janome

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother, but am moving up to a Juki next... hope it is as great as I'm thinking it'll be..

I think that the dealer makes all the difference, will they go to bat for you with the company if your machine has major issues? Can they do regular cleaning and repair? Do they know their machines well enough to help you learn to do whatever you want on that machine? Then I think I would consider what I can afford long term How costly are extras that I may want in the future? I have Janomes both the 3460 for travel and the 6600P and am very happy with both. I am thinking about the 7700 because I love many of the features of this new machine, the 11 inch harp and the auto single needle throat plate for example. I think I would comparison shop online on the manufacturers sites.

I love my Pfaff 2040. I wouldn't trade it for anything. My friend has a Pfaff 3.0 and loves it too!

I just got my 6600P about 2 weeks ago and I LOVE it. There are so many things I love I can't think of any one thing, the automatic cutting is very cool I must say. I only have one complaint with it and that is the leg bar is hard for me to reach because I'm short, I probably look like Suzanne Summers workin her Thighmaster. Good Luck with your purchase, I am not hunting for an embroidery machine.

Blog Entries
    I just bought on ebay a babylock esante embroidery and sewing machine. I really like it. Its easy to use has alot of little extras.

I have a Janome 6500, so happy with it.

I have a Singer Confidence, it is wonderful, and loves quilting decorative stitches. I also have a Singer Featherweight and it sews wonderful too. Happy with my pics for machines. Would love a small Bernina, maybe...but my singer Confidence does so much for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast