Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Maia B

I have two modern models, the Bernina 440 QE (which I bought used) and the Babylock Quest Plus. I LOVE them both, don't know how I'd choose if forced. The Quest Plus has been replaced/upgraded by the Serenade. I personally like having multiple machines. The 440 has narrower feed dogs, better for tight curves, 1/8" seam allowances, tiny work. The stitch quality and precision are superb. The Quest Plus has gorgeous stitches, 9mm wide, built-in dual feed. Both have knee lifts, needle up/down, sewing w/o the foot control. One big advantage of the Bernina is that the throat plate pops out for easier changing to a straight stitch plate and cleaning underneath. The QP, like most machines, has two screws to change the plate. But it has 1" more in the harp and the IDT (built-in dual feed, like a built-in walking foot). I've also only heard good thing about Janomes and Juki. If you only need a straight-stitch, Juki and Brother have great machines for that-high speed, 9" harps, auto-cut. Happy hunting!