Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie building stash..... a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-building-stash-question-t114618.html)

LivelyLady 04-10-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I don't intentionally stash build. I just usually buy a bit more than I need for a specific project (in case I make mistakes) and use that to build a stash.

Ditto

dljennings 04-10-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I don't intentionally stash build. I just usually buy a bit more than I need for a specific project (in case I make mistakes) and use that to build a stash.

exactly what i do, originally because i wanted extra in case of an error, or shrinkage, as i'm one of those wash & dry it first, people. usually wind up with 1/2 to 3/4 yd extra from every project, not counting the little pcs that go into the scrap buckets (divided by size)

i love looking @ a scrap quilt and picking out pieces of lianna's quilt, or carolynn's dress, or so on and so forth...

dljennings 04-10-2011 11:28 AM

oh, and i love fat quarters.. they are like candy bars and the grocery check out... i always leave with 1 or 2... but scrappy is my favorite... and you get a lot of little pcs out of them.

Quilter Lois 04-10-2011 11:44 AM

When I was learning here is what I was told:
Like it - 1 yd
Love it - 2 yds
Crazy about it: Background fabric - 2-3 yds
Main fabric - 3-4 yds
Even focus fabrics take only 3-4 yards so you will probably be safe there. I also buy discounted fabrics for backings and usually get 5-8 yards depending on what style of quilts I am currently working on.
Hope this is useful.

mshawii 04-10-2011 02:36 PM

If it is a fabric I really love and I want to use it for borders I buy at least 3 yards and this will give me 108" for the borders which I cut length of fabric(not across width which stretches). I always cut these borders first, and set aside. I sometimes buy 3 1/2 just to make sure incase it is for a king size. What ever is left after cutting the borders, is usually enough for the blocks. I do buy a lot of fat quarters for scrap quilting. If it isn't going to be used for borders then I buy at least a yard or 2. Jan

Jennifer22206 04-10-2011 02:40 PM

I'm a yardage kind of girl. Its rare for me to buy anything smaller than 1 yard. I do use FQs occasionally, but typically I've been given them or my DH (in his thoughtfulness) purchased them for me.

Paisleyc 04-10-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
:?:I want to build up my stash as it is sadly shrinking! If you were to order/purchase fabrics how much would you purchase. Are fat quarters enough or would 1/2 yd increments be more useful. I do mostly table runners and wall hangings with the occasional larger project. :?:

Thank you so much for being patient with a relative newbie as I am sure this question may have come up before.
:-)

Thanks for asking, as I wondered too. Thanks to all the replies that were posted after your post.

I enjoyed reading all of them and your reasoning why you buy what you do.
Thanks everyone. This really helps us newbies.

connie d 04-10-2011 09:05 PM

Great information. Thank you everyone. :-) :D :thumbup:

Annya 04-12-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
:?:I want to build up my stash as it is sadly shrinking! If you were to order/purchase fabrics how much would you purchase. Are fat quarters enough or would 1/2 yd increments be more useful. I do mostly table runners and wall hangings with the occasional larger project. :?:

Thank you so much for being patient with a relative newbie as I am sure this question may have come up before.
:-)

I like to buy 3 metres (3+yards) so I have the length of a quilt if I need it. It works out cheaper in the long run and I don't run out so fast.