Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie building stash..... a question

:?:I want to build up my stash as it is sadly shrinking! If you were to order/purchase fabrics how much would you purchase. Are fat quarters enough or would 1/2 yd increments be more useful. I do mostly table runners and wall hangings with the occasional larger project. :?:

Thank you so much for being patient with a relative newbie as I am sure this question may have come up before.
    :-)

I am watching the responses as well.

I don't intentionally stash build. I just usually buy a bit more than I need for a specific project (in case I make mistakes) and use that to build a stash.

Blog Entries
    Same here, don't really buy it just to have it. I always buy a little more than I need, just in case. If I find something on clearance or a good deal i will buy it, usually atleast 2 yards if I really like it. Most other stuff, if it is just pretty I will buy a yard. I have been collecting greens for a year now, so i buy a yard of this and that. Don't care for fat quarters. If doing a repeatative block your not going to get very far with a fat quarter. I only buy them for applique and such,.

I also don't intentionally just build stash - it just happens. The fabric talks to me, softly calls my name or jumps out at me 'take me home!'.

I usually have a good idea of what sort of project I will put together with the fabrics I select.

The stash happens because there are *SEW MANY* projects ahead of my production! And also because I always buy more than I need for a specific pattern. And then, also because I see a grouping of fabrics, and take 2 or 3 yards (or metres) for each one. That is how my stash happened!

Hmmm ... just a wee bit out of control ... LOL!

I like half-yards and yards better - two yards if it's something that will work with a lot of different colors and even more if I really love it and it will work with a lot of different colors. :)

it depends on the type of quilter you are - if you like the scrappy look then FQs are enough.

i don't do the scrappy thing and i mostly make wallhangings (which BTW doesn't mean they are small i've made some that are over 7 feet square) and the minimum i purchase is 3 yards.

i would rather have a little left over after a project then have to put up ads looking for more.

when you have a stash it could be 2 years or more before you pull that fabric out to use it.

Can anyone plan a stash? I think it just happens. All of a sudden, one day you take a look and go Holy Cow!

I tend to rate it 3 ways
    1. like 1 yard
    2. love 3 yards
    3. can't live without! Purchase the bolt.

It is the way I fly. I say this because one time I saw this fabric with little red roosters, basically black, red, greys and white. You couldn't see the real pattern was roosters and it worked.
    I purchased a yard, mistake one. It was gone in a week or so.
    I went back and purchase the rest that they had 9 yards. I have hoarded that fabric, trying to use it in important quilts, because the rooster has some meaning to me, the fact it doesn't look like a chicken is perfect.

This goes with any orange quilt fabric that grabs me, I just did 8 yards the other day of that, can't wait to stick that in those special quilts.

Enjoy!
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Can anyone plan a stash? I think it just happens. All of a sudden, one day you take a look and go Holy Cow!
    mine is completely planned - i only buy what i know i will use and i know exactly what style of quilt i'll be using it for.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    as a rule of thumb it would depend on if you like scrappy or planned, do you do a lot of gifty smaller things, do you do a lot of swaps...your stash depends on what you plan to do with it..
    if you do NOT like scrappy, then you need to buy 3-4 yrds of the prints and matching blenders...which means more fabric in fewer designs..
    If you like scrappy, then 1/3 yard is great to allow for shrinkage when you wash it...and yes, you should always wash it before it goes into your stash...trust me....

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    A half-yard cut would be enough for the backing for a table-runner.

Blog Entries
    I hate using up the last of a fabric, so I almost always buy 1 yard at a time. Really don't like fat quarters because using them usually means nothing left of the fabric for stash!

Great information posted. Very helpful

i don't buy FQ's because I think that is an expensive way to go. I buy from 1/2 to two yds.

I have lots of FQs and seldom use them. I prefer yardage. I buy at least a yard......more if I really love it.

If you can afford it I would take 1/2 yards over FQ. There are many cutting instructions for 2 1/2 yard strips or WOW. If you like it for border fabric I would get 1 1/4 yard. If you want it for backing 4 yard for a lap and 6 yard for a twin.

I have mostly FQ and now I am strugling for backing, sashing and border fabrics. Also many patterns I am not able to do the quick cutting methods as I do not have WOW. I think 1/4 yard cuts are no good as you loose a lot of fabric along the edges as it is not straight.

Also most people that are into FQ are big scrappy quilters. Are you? I am but I still need border and backing fabric. I only buy FQ if they are marked down or a good deal.

The minimum I purchase is 1/2 yard. I have pruchased whole bolts if everything is perfect, great fabric ...great price. When I purchase the bolt its becasue I will use it predominetly in the top and use it for backing as well.
    As a general personal rule of thumb ...If its a large scale print , I rarely ever purchase under 1 1/2 yards., typically 3 so I can use it in the borders and cut lenghtwise.

Blog Entries
    I've never bought less than a yard of anything. I like "leftovers". And I ,too, hate it when I've used the last of a fabric.

I usually purchase a little more than I need for a quilt, just in case there is a cutting error. Just recently though, I fell in love with one at JoAnn's that was not on sale and I had a 50% off coupon and got the whole bolt. Then used my 10% off card because I belong to a guild. I intend that fabric to be my next kitchen curtains.

I have some how built up a small stash,LOL. I always buy on sale, clearance, etc. Every now and then I'll pay full price for someting specific.

We have a bargain bin here, anything in it is half price and they will mark it another 50% off, so I get if for like a quarter of the price. I always buy almost everything in it, LOL.

Its came in handy, as I like to do scrappy quilts.

So, I just snatch up any good sale I find, if I like it, whether I have a use for it or not, LOL. And with that, I've somehow built a stash!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I'm new too. I just buy what I like. I haven't planned for any projects yet but I have sime ideas in my head. I love precuts and I'm a jelly roll,charm square and fat quarter junkie. I haven't got into bolts yet but I will tap that when I visit the states.

Blog Entries
    [quote=suezquilts]I tend to rate it 3 ways
    1. like 1 yard
    2. love 3 yards
    3. can't live without! Purchase the bolt.

Me too, and I rarely buy anything less than 1 yd.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    I don't intentionally stash build. I just usually buy a bit more than I need for a specific project (in case I make mistakes) and use that to build a stash.

Same here.... I sometimes don't like what I've chosen when I get home and buy a different fabric. Working on a quilt now, same thing, made a quick trip to JoAnns last night..

Since you seem to me relatively small projects, buying fat quarters would give you a wider variety of fabrics. However, if you find a fabric that you really like, buy as much as you can, because it probably won't be there when you go back. Don't discount cotten dresses, blouses, and men's shirts in thrift shops. After cutting the seams off, you've probably got a half yard of fabric - don't forget to launder before using.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast