Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie building stash..... a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-building-stash-question-t114618.html)

Divokittysmom 04-08-2011 04:22 PM

:?:I want to build up my stash as it is sadly shrinking! If you were to order/purchase fabrics how much would you purchase. Are fat quarters enough or would 1/2 yd increments be more useful. I do mostly table runners and wall hangings with the occasional larger project. :?:

Thank you so much for being patient with a relative newbie as I am sure this question may have come up before.
:-)

SewMomma66 04-08-2011 04:23 PM

I am watching the responses as well.

hopetoquilt 04-08-2011 04:24 PM

I don't intentionally stash build. I just usually buy a bit more than I need for a specific project (in case I make mistakes) and use that to build a stash.

CloverPatch 04-08-2011 04:28 PM

Same here, don't really buy it just to have it. I always buy a little more than I need, just in case. If I find something on clearance or a good deal i will buy it, usually atleast 2 yards if I really like it. Most other stuff, if it is just pretty I will buy a yard. I have been collecting greens for a year now, so i buy a yard of this and that. Don't care for fat quarters. If doing a repeatative block your not going to get very far with a fat quarter. I only buy them for applique and such,.

LindaM 04-08-2011 04:30 PM

I also don't intentionally just build stash - it just happens. The fabric talks to me, softly calls my name or jumps out at me 'take me home!'.

I usually have a good idea of what sort of project I will put together with the fabrics I select.

The stash happens because there are *SEW MANY* projects ahead of my production! And also because I always buy more than I need for a specific pattern. And then, also because I see a grouping of fabrics, and take 2 or 3 yards (or metres) for each one. That is how my stash happened!

Hmmm ... just a wee bit out of control ... LOL!

thepolyparrot 04-08-2011 04:30 PM

I like half-yards and yards better - two yards if it's something that will work with a lot of different colors and even more if I really love it and it will work with a lot of different colors. :)

fabric_fancy 04-08-2011 04:33 PM

it depends on the type of quilter you are - if you like the scrappy look then FQs are enough.

i don't do the scrappy thing and i mostly make wallhangings (which BTW doesn't mean they are small i've made some that are over 7 feet square) and the minimum i purchase is 3 yards.

i would rather have a little left over after a project then have to put up ads looking for more.

when you have a stash it could be 2 years or more before you pull that fabric out to use it.

TonnieLoree 04-08-2011 04:34 PM

Can anyone plan a stash? I think it just happens. All of a sudden, one day you take a look and go Holy Cow!

suezquilts 04-08-2011 04:34 PM

I tend to rate it 3 ways
1. like 1 yard
2. love 3 yards
3. can't live without! Purchase the bolt.

It is the way I fly. I say this because one time I saw this fabric with little red roosters, basically black, red, greys and white. You couldn't see the real pattern was roosters and it worked.
I purchased a yard, mistake one. It was gone in a week or so.
I went back and purchase the rest that they had 9 yards. I have hoarded that fabric, trying to use it in important quilts, because the rooster has some meaning to me, the fact it doesn't look like a chicken is perfect.

This goes with any orange quilt fabric that grabs me, I just did 8 yards the other day of that, can't wait to stick that in those special quilts.

Enjoy!
Sue

fabric_fancy 04-08-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Can anyone plan a stash? I think it just happens. All of a sudden, one day you take a look and go Holy Cow!

mine is completely planned - i only buy what i know i will use and i know exactly what style of quilt i'll be using it for.