Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Batting at Michael's???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-batting-michaels-t118616.html)

Krystyna 04-25-2011 03:03 AM

For the last few years I've been building a stockpile of batting from Michael's buying whenever they have a 50% off coupon in the newspaper or sent by email. The last couple of times I went to the local store I noticed there was almost no batting left on the shelves, so my husband and I went to one some distance away hoping they would have some. They had ONE roll of poly. I hunted around for some assistance and they found a couple of fusible cotton in the back.

We got back to our neck of the woods and went to the local Michael's. I was able to get a couple of rolls of poly. We asked a worker who had a scan gun to see if there was more in the back and were shocked when she said, "None on hand, none on order."

Does anyone know if they're phasing out their meager quilting supply section? I will be terribly sad since that batting with a coupon is really a bargain.

ScrappyCat 04-25-2011 03:10 AM

My local Walmart hasn't been restocking their batting either. I try to get batting at Joanne's with 50% off also.

thequiltmama 04-25-2011 03:30 AM

My walmart has been not keeping the stocks full either. They were out for a long time and then got only a little in. ugh. Has the world gone mad...lol :) Now I am going to have to drive 35 miles to get good priced batting. But you know I will, lol :)

SherriB 04-25-2011 03:42 AM

When I picked up my sewing machine from the repair place, the older gentleman told me that cotton batting would no longer be made. I thought for sure he meant something else and I didn't want to be rude and ask again. So maybe what he said was true because I have noticed the same thing at Michael's. I just thougt it was the store here.

thequiltmama 04-25-2011 03:59 AM

I guess that makes sense with cotton prices so high now. So now we only get poly batting :( ??

Originally Posted by SherriB
When I picked up my sewing machine from the repair place, the older gentleman told me that cotton batting would no longer be made. I thought for sure he meant something else and I didn't want to be rude and ask again. So maybe what he said was true because I have noticed the same thing at Michael's. I just thougt it was the store here.

MZStitch 04-25-2011 04:10 AM

I heard petroleum is used in the making of batting. This has resulted in significant price increases. One quilt shop notified me that thier new orders were up as much as $5.00 a package. Maybe because of the significant price increase retailers are holding off on future orders?

StitchinJoy 04-25-2011 04:10 AM

Hancock's of Paducah has all kinds of nice batting online or through their catalog: Quilters Dream, Hobbs, other good quality batts, cotton, poly and blends, with decent prices.

Krystyna 04-25-2011 04:11 AM

That's exactly why I stepped up my stockpiling of cotton batting! I guess I'd better start hunting around at Joann and elsewhere before it completely disappears! Starting to panic.

CarrieAnne 04-25-2011 04:47 AM

Wow, I noticed our Hobby Lobby had less batting too.

justwannaquilt 04-25-2011 04:59 AM

If they quit making 100% cotton batting I will quit quilting and find another hobby! I can NOT stand the feel of other batting on my hands (snob? yes!). sad but true!