Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Batting at Michael's???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-batting-michaels-t118616.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 04-25-2011 05:54 AM

No, not a snob at all. I love cotton and if they stopped making it I'd be upset!!
It's just so wonderful to work with for me.

emerald46 04-25-2011 06:24 AM

I'm a cotton lover too...guess it is time to start buying batting in bulk.

Shelley 04-25-2011 06:30 AM

They are not stopping the production of cotton batting. But the price of both cotton and poly are going up because the raw materials (cotton and petroleum) are going up. I loaded up on cotton batting before the price changes, didn't even think about the poly. So far, I've only had to pass on a $.25 increase per yard in the poly. There hasn't been a change in the prices of the wool batting, yet.

Part of the increases to expect are also the increases in shipping, which are built into the prices of everything you buy.

erstan947 04-25-2011 07:49 AM

A generation or 2 ago Quilters made their own cotton batting by getting the cotton boll off the plant and carding it and making a crude felt type batting. Served them well for years.
Us GRITS (girls raised in the south) gals can easily get the cotton direct from the farmer:) Just a thought:)

watterstide 04-26-2011 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Wow, I noticed our Hobby Lobby had less batting too.

Carrie, our Hobby Lobby has less packaged batting also. but ours still carries it on the bolt, at least for now.

DebbieJJ 04-26-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
A generation or 2 ago Quilters made their own cotton batting by getting the cotton boll off the plant and carding it and making a crude felt type batting. Served them well for years.
Us GRITS (girls raised in the south) gals can easily get the cotton direct from the farmer:) Just a thought:)

I used to work with a woman who picked her cotton from a neighbor's field (with permission), then picked out the seeds and cleaned the cotton on our break times, and then used the cotton to make her future hubby a quilt. I had never seen it done this way, and I watched her every chance I got. By the way, the quilt turned out beautiful! Wish I had taken pictures, but at the time, no cameras were allowed in the plant where we worked.

Cris 04-26-2011 04:01 AM

Our Michaels hasn't had any sewing supplies for years!

grann of 6 04-26-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I'm a cotton lover too...guess it is time to start buying batting in bulk.

Check out www.createforless.com. I got my warm & natural from there, 4 queen size for $91.96, cheaper than buying a 40 yard roll. They aren't the fastest at shipping but have great prices on many many things. I also got YLI quilting thread from them. The last couple times I was at Joanns with a 50% off coupon they didn't have the cotton batting.

alleyoop1 04-26-2011 05:18 AM

Michael's? Batting? Not here. Wish it did sell batting!

juliea9967 04-26-2011 05:40 AM

Ha! I didn't even know Michael's carried batting. But I do know the price of batting, like everything else, is going up, up, up. Cotton prices are going up for a reason - bad cotton crop. Petroleum prices are going up only to make the big oil companies richer! I hate it!