Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Batting at Michael's???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-batting-michaels-t118616.html)

MarthaT 04-26-2011 08:29 AM

Our local Hobby Lobby said they were starting to sell it just off the roll and not in the prepackaged bags. I've been disappointed in the quality of the latest battings I could find at some of those stores. I had gotten some at Walmart and it was fine, but the next time I bought the same brand it was thinner in some spots than others. I think I'll just switch to the more expensive, and more consistant brands.

sak658 04-26-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
A generation or 2 ago Quilters made their own cotton batting by getting the cotton boll off the plant and carding it and making a crude felt type batting. Served them well for years.
Us GRITS (girls raised in the south) gals can easily get the cotton direct from the farmer:) Just a thought:)

Yes and I have a pr of the carders to do it with. I remember my mom using them in the 50's. Also my mom and I chopped cotton one summer for a farmer for $3.00 a day. Wow, hadn't thought of that in a while...

Farm Quilter 04-26-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
They are not stopping the production of cotton batting. But the price of both cotton and poly are going up because the raw materials (cotton and petroleum) are going up. I loaded up on cotton batting before the price changes, didn't even think about the poly. So far, I've only had to pass on a $.25 increase per yard in the poly. There hasn't been a change in the prices of the wool batting, yet.

Part of the increases to expect are also the increases in shipping, which are built into the prices of everything you buy.

Gee, thanks, Shelley!!! Good thing I have 6 rolls stock piled up! Guess I need to get even more!!!

penski 04-26-2011 10:18 AM

our Michaels never had batting or material :thumbdown:

roadrunr 04-26-2011 10:35 AM

My local Walmart is now seling 80/20 batting which they never had before along with the all poly that they already sold

Jammin' Jane 04-26-2011 10:41 AM

And we all wonder WHY we build our stashes????
For exactly this reason!!!
If there is another recession/depression, we'll be ready!

Debbie C 04-26-2011 11:35 AM

I just came from my local WalMart here on Long Island and was thrilled! They have completely re-vamped their sewing department with quilt-friendly patterns (yay!). I got fabrics for $2 and under, batting for queen/king for $7 and a BIG new rotary cutting pad for $9. I am a happy quilter!

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
My walmart has been not keeping the stocks full either. They were out for a long time and then got only a little in. ugh. Has the world gone mad...lol :) Now I am going to have to drive 35 miles to get good priced batting. But you know I will, lol :)

Mary M 04-26-2011 11:53 AM

I noticed Jo Anns warm and natural had gone up $4.00 per package. I went to Hobby Lobby and they had very little batting in packages but did get two pkgs. of Hobbs80/20 since I have been hearing it is a nice batting. Sad to see th prices of ou hobby materials taking such a big increase.

Linn 04-26-2011 12:00 PM

Marshalls dry goods has cotton and cotton/poly by the rolls. Great prices when you figure the price per yard

jmcdowell 04-26-2011 12:51 PM

The Michaels in my area doesn't carry anythig quilty - no batting, nothing.