Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Batting at Michael's???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-batting-michaels-t118616.html)

AFQSinc 04-26-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
I just came from my local WalMart here on Long Island and was thrilled! They have completely re-vamped their sewing department with quilt-friendly patterns (yay!). I got fabrics for $2 and under, batting for queen/king for $7 and a BIG new rotary cutting pad for $9. I am a happy quilter

Hi Debbie C! I'm in Lake Grove. Which Walmart do you go to? The one I go to in Centereach only has the terrible pre-cuts and a few notions.

Scrap Happy 04-26-2011 12:58 PM

The Michael's in our town doesn't carry it or any quilting supplies at all.

Debbie C 04-26-2011 01:08 PM

I went to the one in Middle Island. The salesclerk showed me some unadvertised specials - but that was the regular price on the cutting board. They have hundreds of bolts of fabrics plus the 'discounted $1 and $1.50/yard" fabric.

Originally Posted by AFQSinc

I just came from my local WalMart here on Long Island and was thrilled! They have completely re-vamped their sewing department with quilt-friendly patterns (yay!). I got fabrics for $2 and under, batting for queen/king for $7 and a BIG new rotary cutting pad for $9. I am a happy quilter

Hi Debbie C! I'm in Lake Grove. Which Walmart do you go to? The one I go to in Centereach only has the terrible pre-cuts and a few notions.

QBeth 04-26-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
That's exactly why I stepped up my stockpiling of cotton batting! I guess I'd better start hunting around at Joann and elsewhere before it completely disappears! Starting to panic.

I'm warding off panic by also stocking up on cotton batting. :x Guess I'm not the only one, huh?!

joyce888 04-26-2011 06:11 PM

Never seen batting at Michaels. But seeing the posts about cotton batting and prices has got me to thinking I should use my JoAnns 50% off coupons on batting while it's still available.

Delilah 04-26-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If they quit making 100% cotton batting I will quit quilting and find another hobby! I can NOT stand the feel of other batting on my hands (snob? yes!). sad but true!

Try wool. I've recently made some quilts with wool batting and I LOVE IT!! Beautiful loft, drapes wonderfully, and much lighter than cotton.

jojosnana 04-26-2011 06:21 PM

I order my batting from Joanns when they are having a a 50% off sale, and hopefully free shipping........

Debbie C 04-26-2011 06:22 PM

if worse comes to worst, I will start buying lightweight blankets in lieu of the disappearing batting!

Originally Posted by Delilah

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If they quit making 100% cotton batting I will quit quilting and find another hobby! I can NOT stand the feel of other batting on my hands (snob? yes!). sad but true!

Try wool. I've recently made some quilts with wool batting and I LOVE IT!! Beautiful loft, drapes wonderfully, and much lighter than cotton.

Delilah 04-26-2011 06:34 PM

if worse comes to worst, I will start buying lightweight blankets in lieu of the disappearing batting!

Originally Posted by Delilah

I was thinking the same, we can haunt the second hand stores for old blankets.

quilt queen 04-26-2011 07:32 PM

Michaels here don't carry any sewing or quilting items...I live in Central Texas...I was surprised to hear that some Michaels carry sewing quilting and items.I'm in central Texas.