Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   (Non-fabric) Gift for a Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/non-fabric-gift-quilter-t40428.html)

Quiltin'Lady 03-23-2010 07:44 AM

My cousin, who is also a quilter, wanted to thin out her stash recently (a mind-set I don't quite understand). She offered me first crack at three big boxes of fabric and quilt kits/patterns, and, yes, I took most of it. After getting it all home and washing it, I realized (almost with horror) that there must be close to 30 yards of big pieces, and maybe 50 FQs, fat eighths, and half-yards. Most of them were in coordinated sets. In one fell swoop, this incredible woman doubled the size of my stash.

I want to do/get something truly wonderful for her in return, but it must be non-fabric in nature. She has a new sewing machine and a pretty good quilting set-up, and prefers applique to traditional piecing.

I was thinking of getting her one of those rotating cutting boards that Omnigrid makes, but would welcome any other ideas.

Is there something -- relatively expensive -- that you lust after, but could never justify buying for yourself?

Thanks for the ideas!

gailmitchell 03-23-2010 07:50 AM

Something that I really wanted but never got for a long time after getting a new sewing machine, was a sew steady table. It makes a perfect accessory if you paper piece or applique.

I just recently got mine for $50 less $5. coupon from Allbrands. It took about 4 weeks to come, but now that it's here, I'm so glad. I love it and I wish somebody had bought it for me years ago.

Quiltin'Lady 03-23-2010 07:53 AM

Oh, that is a good idea. I used (and loved!) one for years before I got my current table. I'd have to enlist her husband to find out what make and model machine she has...

Thanks!!

Crafty1 03-23-2010 08:04 AM

How about an Ott Lite Lamp? or Create a gift basket filled with applique and piecing items?

sharon b 03-23-2010 08:19 AM

Does she have an oversized ironing board ? They look like they would be great to use :mrgreen: I dream of that :wink:

sewnsewer2 03-23-2010 08:27 AM

Since she has a new machine, how about either a gift card for some 'extra' feet she may want, or if she has an embroidery machine too, a new hoop?

Marjpf 03-23-2010 08:35 AM

I'm with the Crafty1 on the Ott light. Or you could assemble a basket of teas, cookies, and chocolates for keeping the body going while having fun. Does she have a radio in her sewing room?

JanetM 03-23-2010 08:40 AM

I like your idea of getting her a rotating cutting board. That would be a very useful gift. I am not familiar with the Omnigrid rotating board, but I can tell you that the one by Fiskars is terrible, ask me how I know!

Another idea, does she have applique scissors? They have a duckbill blade that really makes cutting appliques easy. If she has been doing applique for some time she may already have a pair.

A gift card is always a welcome gift too!

Quiltin'Lady 03-23-2010 09:40 AM

Great ideas, everyone! Keep 'em coming!! :-D

lucky_alf2 03-23-2010 10:53 AM

How about taking a class together or going to quilt camp together? The gift of time/experience. My mom takes me to her chapter's quilt camp every fall -- it's fun to spend time with her and get away and (of course) have several days to just SEW!! :)