Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Noob finally sees the light- Practical reasoning for building a stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/noob-finally-sees-light-practical-reasoning-building-stash-t212766.html)

Teeler 02-02-2013 10:22 AM

Noob finally sees the light- Practical reasoning for building a stash

Putting all mention of my "oh look, a squirrel!" mentality aside (ref: bullet 1 below), I have finally realized the value of building a stash- from a practical point of view:
  • What I buy today, I might not like tomorrow as much as what I find tomorrow
  • What I buy today will likely be cheaper today than tomorrow
  • What I really like today (even if I have no plan for it) may not be available tomorrow (out of print, discontinued, retired, etc). I've found several of these just in the last 2 days as I find a collection that I love, and it's nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, this may mean buying a line at full price when it's released (ack!).
  • It's practically unavoidable to NOT have a stash when the "OMG I MUST HAVE THAT!" urge strikes.

So...having said all that, I have decided that it would be "in my best interest" (tongue-in-cheek) to start a stash.

Scissor Queen 02-02-2013 10:29 AM

One good rule to adding stash, when you run across a fabric that love, love, love and can't live without, buy as much as you can afford because it'll probably sell out fast and they won't reprint it.

sassey 02-02-2013 10:32 AM

I totally agree I had a stash before I ever started quilting. I hung out with a quilter and we spent a lot of time in quilt shops.I even went on shop hops for a few years before I started quilting. Have some of that why did I buy that . you told a good story and I hope you r sticking to it

sewbizgirl 02-02-2013 10:36 AM

One of the saddest things is to have a fabric go out of print, gone forever... Then you will scour Ebay and pay anything for it!

cathyvv 02-02-2013 10:39 AM

There are lots of good reasons to have a stash! Like, right now, I can't go out shopping because I had foot surgery in January. So I'm shopping my stash.

The only real problem with starting a stash is that it's never big enough!

alisonquilts 02-02-2013 11:14 AM

"Oh look, a squirrel!"

*snort*

Alison

mighty 02-02-2013 11:15 AM

I shop my stash alot! Do not know what I would do without it!

JulieR 02-02-2013 11:36 AM

My stash is my own little savings account. I'm planning to shop out of my stash this year as much as possible!

Also, squirrel.

Jennie and Me 02-02-2013 11:58 AM

Before I started quilting, I would go to my friends house(she quilted) and gasp at all of the fabric that she had. Once I started quilting I started building my own stash. My dear sister-in-law asked what was in all of those boxes under my quilting machine. Ahhh, fabric. She gasped and said, "You're kidding!" Nope. O.K., that was before I really got into quilting. Now she would say, "OMG, YOU'RE KIDDING!!!! I just might have to use your line...."Oh look there's a squirrel!" Well, I seriously wouldn't let her see my stash now...she might have a heart attack...she's very frugal and also 87 years old.
What can I say, other than I LOVE FABRIC. And yup, I've learned that if you see fabric that you really love, or that is on sale, or would go good in a quilt you're planning to make(some day) OR, OR,OR. You just have to buy it. Although, seriously, I'm trying really hard not to buy anymore fabric until I use a goodly portion of what I have, which will take me up to the time of my demise. I have alot of fabric.;) And I'm glad that I do.

Jan in VA 02-03-2013 10:48 AM

Whoo, that crisis averted.:thumbup:
So glad you've seen the light and the rest of us can cheer a newbie saved for the future, LOL!:D

Jan in VA