Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not sure what to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-sure-what-do-t190258.html)

hsweany 05-28-2012 04:35 PM

Not sure what to do

I just took my crib size quilt from the washer and everywhere I had joined triangles is ripped open. I made the triangles by sewing two seams close to the diagonal center and then cutting. I guess I must have cut too close to the seam???? What can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Deb watkins 05-28-2012 04:41 PM

I have not had this problem at all. Being accurate in cutting, sewing and trimming is key.

joyce888 05-28-2012 04:44 PM

Could you post a pic? Not knowing what the top looks like I have some ideas but don't want to speak without seeing the problem and knowing the style of quilt.

nativetexan 05-28-2012 05:07 PM

well it's a baby quilt, perhaps you could mend all the seams by doing a zig zag over them. or a double line of zig zags to be certain to catch both sides of the fabrics in the seam area. Good luck!!

hopetoquilt 05-28-2012 05:09 PM

You should draw a line diagonally and then sew 1/4 inch away from either side of the line. then cut down the line. i am not sure why your seams came apart. I am sorry that happened after all the time you put into the quilt. If you can post a picture or describe in greater detail, perhaps we can help more.

#1piecemaker 05-28-2012 05:14 PM

You might could put a little wonder under on it and iron it down. But, I've never had this problem before. You might even try a little blind whip stitch by hand.

Tink's Mom 05-28-2012 05:22 PM

Did you use a longer stitch when sewing these seams? Diagonal seams need a tighter stitch length. They may be able to be mended by adding some trim along the bad seam.

auntpiggylpn 05-28-2012 06:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had this happen once on a pinwheel quilt. And thankfully it only happened in one seam!!! I wound up taking out the damaged triangle and handsewing in a replacement. I'm pretty sure it happened because when I cut my squares apart, I must have cut less than 1/4" for this particular block. It is the only thing I can think of because this quilt was alot of HST and I only had one seam fail.

The first picture is the blown seam and the the third picture is the same block after my repair

LynnVT 05-28-2012 06:26 PM

Good that it happened when you washed it, and not afterward when you gave it to the mom. She'd probably be embarrased to tell you, and you'd feel bad if you found out about it. I agree, best to use smaller stitch for diagonals especially. Could be just that particular fabric was loosly woven, and seam allowance was a bit small. Sure is a cheery quilt, though.

TanyaL 05-28-2012 06:38 PM

You need to show a picture. I think (without seeing it) that you have but 2 choices of repair types. Remove the fabric with the bad seams and replace, or mend the seams from the top. If the pattern is such that you can applique something on top of the seams - even strips of seam binding tape or narrow sashing- in a color that will enhance your color scheme I would probably select that repair from the top method and sew through the whole quilt. It would in effect quilt the quilt while stitching the new fabric down. Since it is a child's quilt, might it be possible to select applique

shapes appropriate to childhood to cover the seams? Maybe a bad suggestion since I can't see the number or size of the frayed seams.