Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now what do I do? Dog ripped batting loaded on LA-half done w/King quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-what-do-i-do-dog-ripped-batting-loaded-la-half-done-w-king-quilt-t191875.html)

rrhaigh 06-15-2012 06:07 PM

Now what do I do? Dog ripped batting loaded on LA-half done w/King quilt

My Ddog came in my sewing room and was so excited to see me that she jumped up to greet me (whiche we are training them NOT to do). She missed me and jumped on the batting floating on the long arm where I was quilting away. It ripped a huge jagged hole in the batting. I was in the middle of quilting a king size quilt. They have always enjoyed laying in my sewing room while I sew or quilt, but I have never had an issue with them until now. So, now what do I do with the batting already loaded on the quilt and on my long arm? The hole is about 12" around and jagged/stretched.

icon17 06-15-2012 06:08 PM

Time for some Hand stiching?

SWEETPEACHES 06-15-2012 06:09 PM

I have no advice, but I'm sorry

ksdot417 06-15-2012 06:38 PM

Can you patch the area with another piece of batting and whip it in place by hand?

fayzer 06-15-2012 06:43 PM

I would cut the rough/stretched hole out of the batting. Cut another piece of batting 3" or so bigger than the hole. Spray baste the outer edge of the patch and smooth into place over the hole. Good luck.

ashspu 06-15-2012 06:49 PM

hole in batting

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5291926)
My Ddog came in my sewing room and was so excited to see me that she jumped up to greet me (whiche we are training them NOT to do). She missed me and jumped on the batting floating on the long arm where I was quilting away. It ripped a huge jagged hole in the batting. I was in the middle of quilting a king size quilt. They have always enjoyed laying in my sewing room while I sew or quilt, but I have never had an issue with them until now. So, now what do I do with the batting already loaded on the quilt and on my long arm? The hole is about 12" around and jagged/stretched.

That just happened to me the other day. We have a puppy and if my batting is hanging on the floor while I am using my longarm he rips holes in it. At first I thought I would have to some how baste a section of batting in the hole. Then I thought I would use spray basting on the new section which is larger than the hole and when I rolled the quilt up after that section was quilted it seemed to work well. I hope you are able to fix it.

Silver Needle 06-15-2012 06:52 PM

Take a deep breath! Maybe 2. Add 10 minutes with your feet up and a glass of wine in hand. Step 3. hug the dog and tell him you are not really going to take him out back and shoot him. Step 4. Praise and thank God it was the batting and not the quilt top that had the problem. You know they sell the stuff to iron batting pieces together for a reason. It will not be noticeable if you piece the batting when everything is all said and done. Follow the advice above. Just kind of feather the edges of each piece of batting where they come together so it isn't too thick. Ran short at the bottom of a quilt once and filled in like this. You couldn't tell at all.

Tartan 06-15-2012 06:55 PM

I think I would cut out the jagged edge piece in a nice square and then cut a replacement square out of another batt and use the batting tape to fuse in the patch. I would use my ironing board under the frame to iron on or maybe a TV tray with books pulled on top with a towel to iron against if the ironing board wouldn't fit.

rrhaigh 06-15-2012 07:05 PM

Cheryl, at least you made me laugh!!!! And everyone's advise is greatly appreciated. I don't feel so gloomy and doomed now. I will try patching it in the morning - right now I am have my feet up and nice glass of wine and my darling dog is laying next to me not knowing how close she came to being taken out back and shot!

amandasgramma 06-15-2012 07:32 PM

I did that with my rolling stool -- the casters caught the batting. Others above have good suggestions..... good luck!