Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW.....I'm scared (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-im-scared-t132817.html)

miss_ticky2 06-24-2011 06:02 PM

I did one and it wasn't a big deal at all. I just followed Cutebuns instructions on this site..think someone has already posted the links.

TonnieLoree 06-24-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
If you are really intimidated with this, purchase some of the least expensive fabric for your first try. If it doesn't work, oh well. The worst thing that can happen is you make a "D" cup. :-)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: And send them to me!!

Umm, how many should I send?? :lol: :lol: ;)

jitkaau 06-25-2011 03:16 AM

I think the selection of the right material is the hardest part. I have not been happy with any of mine and ended up making them into grandma's flower garden as they look better with the borders around each shape.

coachmatthewsvhs 06-25-2011 03:35 AM

I've made 3 of them and helped to cut two more. My opinion is to put the pins across the top and one side to make the fabric line up better... an extra set of hands comes in as helpful! Unless you're using a fabric with geometric lines.... no one will be able to tell if you are "just a little off". There is so much going on with the overall design!! I've never washed my fabric first, so there's no need for me to starch, etc. Flower pins do work best..... also, after you get the fabric matched up in the six/eight repeats.... use a bunch of pins to hold it until it's cut. I also put each hex/oct on a paper plate so I could shuffle them around without handling the material so much. Have fun!! I think of these as tye dye for quilters!!! Never know just how it will work until you start messing with your pieces.

coachmatthewsvhs 06-25-2011 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
I'm too scared to try it. I always admire then from afar,but I know I'm not there yet. They are so cool.

they are incredibly forgiving!! I can't seem to sew a straight line, but my quilts in OBW hide that very well!!

keesha_ont 06-25-2011 04:04 AM

I have made 4 OBW's. Use lots of starch and flat pins. I agree with cutting the fabric in half as pinning is very tedious and can be awkward. I also use a lot of pins so the fabric doesn't move. It is a quick quilt to make and you'll love doing it.

Minding My Ps and Qs 06-25-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
If you have an opportunity to take a class, either OBW or S&W.

Please: can someone explain the difference between the OBW, S&W, and the Hexagon?
Many thanks!
Sally

Glassquilt 06-25-2011 04:31 AM

I bast my SNW layers together. I pick a part of the pattern and put the needle through it on each piece of fabric. Move over about ½~¾" and pick another spot. Move over..... ad naseum. Not only are they lined up but each stack stays together very well until I'm ready to make that block. It takes forever but I'm happy with the results.

DanaNVa 06-25-2011 04:53 AM

I bought Kay Nickols' book, "Wonderful 1 Fabric Quilts." The explanations seem straight-forward. Perhaps a different book/explanation would be helpful.

sandpat 06-25-2011 04:58 AM

Just jump in. Pinning the fabric is the hardest part, but really doable. Just tell yourself...."its ONLY fabric" so if you mess up...just go buy more. No big deal :)

DON'T prewash....very important!