Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-quilting-t36615.html)

graphicsbysue 02-11-2010 08:43 AM

I have been quilting for some time and always use the SITD method. My project now has a wide border on the outside of
the quilt. I would like to quilt it with a pattern, yet I have no idea
how to transfer that pattern onto the fabric for hand quilting.
Any ideas for me?

Up North 02-11-2010 08:47 AM

I use a disapearing ink marker and mark as I go. Just mark what you can do in a couple hours as it fades pretty fast. I found them at Walmart and Joann's.

Marjpf 02-11-2010 08:49 AM

I also use the disappearing ink. I found chalk rubs off too much while you are handling it.

RedGarnet222 02-11-2010 08:58 AM

Depending on how detailed the design is and how you are planning to hoop it, or not.... You can use white contact paper cut out shapes stuck onto the quilt temprorarily and move them along as you go. That way there are no marks at all. Like a mellon shaped chain, for example. There is the tear away iron on paper you can quilt over and tear off too.
Check in the quilting notions section of say nancy's notions, on line. There really is tons of options.

sewcrafty 02-11-2010 01:01 PM

Depending on dark you material is. I don't have a light box, but a sunny sliding glass door or large window works. You can tape the pattern on the window and then tape your quilt up and trace it onto your quilt. I use a washable marker for quilts. It's a light blue and when you wash your quilt it all comes off. You can also use a very fine pencil lightly and it also comes out. My preference is the marker though, because it doesn't smear and get your hands all dirty as pencil, chalk, etc.

Prism99 02-11-2010 02:18 PM

If you use the blue or purple markers to mark your quilting design, be sure not to let the quilt sit in sunlight. Heat can permanently set those markers.

Some quilters "spritz" the markers away, but when you do that they can reappear at a later date. It's safer to rinse the entire quilt thoroughly. If you do this in a washing machine, it's a good idea to run a rinse cycle through the machine first to make sure the water will be entirely clear when you rinse the quilt to get rid of the marker.

Also, never let those marks stay in the quilt for years (in storage, for example) as there is too much risk of them getting heatset at some point.

graphicsbysue 02-12-2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Depending on dark you material is. I don't have a light box, but a sunny sliding glass door or large window works. You can tape the pattern on the window and then tape your quilt up and trace it onto your quilt. I use a washable marker for quilts. It's a light blue and when you wash your quilt it all comes off. You can also use a very fine pencil lightly and it also comes out. My preference is the marker though, because it doesn't smear and get your hands all dirty as pencil, chalk, etc.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much. Some of the patterns are quite detailed. This sounds like it would work best.
Thank you so much.:thumbup:
Sue

Oklahoma Suzie 02-12-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty

great ideas

Shibori 02-12-2010 03:02 PM

I bought the white leads that Fons and Porter have and a set of 0.9mm mechanical pencils. The line stays crisp on dark fabrics but washes away completely.

graphicsbysue 02-12-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
I bought the white leads that Fons and Porter have and a set of 0.9mm mechanical pencils. The line stays crisp on dark fabrics but washes away completely.

Thank you.
:D