Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff expression 4.0 bobbin trouble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-expression-4-0-bobbin-trouble-t49756.html)

fabric-holic 06-15-2010 09:22 AM

Does anyone here have the Pfaff Expression 4.0?
My friend in Texas just called me and said she bought one and is having trouble winding the bobbin (she says it looks "rough" ) and also, after she gets it threaded into the bobbin area and starts to sew, she gets a jam message.
She said she's gotten the manual out and went step by step. I said to be sure she loaded the bobbin with the correct side up. She swears she did.
Is the 4.0 a quirky machine or does she just need to practice more?
I told her I'd ask here since she doesn't have a computer.
I have a Pfaff 2170 with a vertical bobbin, hers is horizontal, and I've never threaded a horizontal one. So I really can't help.
Thanks-

MadQuilter 06-15-2010 09:34 AM

Are you sure she had the thread in the correct path. A "rough" bobbin wind suggests that the tension was off (happened to me on one of my Pfaffs).

How long has she had/used the machine? Maybe it's time for a basic maintenance visit to the ER. Maybe she needs to take the 4.0 apart and do a thorough cleaning in all the nooks and crevices.

I recently bought a Babylock because I was very disappointed in the workmanship of the newer Pfaffs. They are reportedly persnickety.

fabric-holic 06-15-2010 09:37 AM

Well she said she had the thread going through all the guides needed for winding bobbins. But I'll mention it to her when I call her back later.
Thanks

TexasGurl 06-15-2010 10:07 AM

I've heard the 3.0 & 4.0 machines have had many problems and need numerous adjustments. I know 5-6 people in my guild & bee who have them & all are having problems
Pfaff quality is NOT what it was, when they were German-made. I understand even these high $$$ machines are being made in Asia now ... they were making them in Sweden but no longer.

fabric-holic 06-15-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I've heard the 3.0 & 4.0 machines have had many problems and need numerous adjustments. I know 5-6 people in my guild & bee who have them & all are having problems
Pfaff quality is NOT what it was, when they were German-made. I understand even these high $$$ machines are being made in Asia now ... they were making them in Sweden but no longer.

Oh Oh She's been waiting for a long time for a new machine. But I'll let her know. Maybe she can get her money back.

TexasGurl 06-15-2010 11:06 AM

Well I hope she doesn't have to do that ... everyone I know has had some adjustments made ... I'll ask some of them & follow up with you
Her dealer should def adjust the machine or worst case, replace it with a new one !! It's a pricey machine to have trouble with

Sadiemae 06-15-2010 11:06 AM

Be sure she is threading the machine with the needle up and the presser foot up. I have a couple of Pfaffs and I love them both, but if the presser foot is down when threading it is a mess.

Crlyn 06-15-2010 01:45 PM

Speak to her dealer about it.

I remember when I had lessons with my Expression 2, we were showed a rough bobbin fill and a correct fill, though for the life of me I can't remember why they said it was incorrect.

They are a great machine, she just needs to sort out the problem.

fabric-holic 06-15-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crlyn
Speak to her dealer about it.

I remember when I had lessons with my Expression 2, we were showed a rough bobbin fill and a correct fill, though for the life of me I can't remember why they said it was incorrect.

They are a great machine, she just needs to sort out the problem.

She seems to be doing better with it this evening. At least that's what she said. I think (hope) it's just a learning curve that she's going through with the machine, because she's been sewing for years on her old machine.
She thanks you all for your ideas.

MadQuilter 06-15-2010 06:33 PM

I hope she is taking classes with her new machine.

When I got my new Babylock, I got 4 free classes - from basic maintenance to all the feet and not sure what else. There are two classes in the Mastery Series that are not covered and I plan to pay for those. These new ones are not easy to learn on your own (IMO). I decided that I would not put up with any frustration but wait for the classes to sink in.

It may be worth for your friend to check if there is a forum for the Pfaff Expression. She may get lucky and hook up with some nice folks like the QB.