Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   photos on quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photos-quilts-t46236.html)

user15356 05-17-2010 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to make a square for our breast cancer quilt in memory of my Mother. It can only be an 8" square. I thought of a cabbage rose with her photo in the middle. Does anyone know how to make photos on quilts?

8" cabbage rose square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69239[/ATTACH]

katier825 05-17-2010 03:14 PM

You can buy paper backed fabric sheets that you put in the printer. After printing, you peel the paper off and treat the photo like any other piece of fabric. I get mine online through Dick Blick Art Supplies. You can get them in most quilt shops or Joann's, but they are more expensive that way. I paste my pictures into PowerPoint and fit as many as I can on a page, then do a test page on regular paper first.

QuiltingGrannie 05-17-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
You can buy paper backed fabric sheets that you put in the printer. After printing, you peel the paper off and treat the photo like any other piece of fabric. I get mine online through Dick Blick Art Supplies. You can get them in most quilt shops or Joann's, but they are more expensive that way. I paste my pictures into PowerPoint and fit as many as I can on a page, then do a test page on regular paper first.

Do you use the iron on or the sew on type fabric sheets? I've used the sew on type before that I have gotten at Walmart. They work great!

no1jan 05-17-2010 03:24 PM

I have been thinking about making a memory quilt but was worried that the ink would run? Do you need special ink?

We have 3 inkjet printers. Two HP and one Epson, can you use these?

katier825 05-17-2010 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

Originally Posted by katier825

Do you use the iron on or the sew on type fabric sheets? I've used the sew on type before that I have gotten at Walmart. They work great!

This is what I buy; they are fabric, not iron on transfers. I use the cotton ones, never tried the silk. I have an HP printer and ran them thru that with regular ink. The ones I made are used as wallhangings by the kids. They don't get used/washed much. I think I've read that some people treat them after to help prevent fading. You'd have to do a search and see what the comments on that are.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ja...et-fabric-kit/

A sample of one I made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69247[/ATTACH]

penski 05-17-2010 03:48 PM

i have made 3 quilts with pictures on them and i found what works best for a good clear picture was the timeless treasure sew on paper from jo anns also i tried my HP printer and the ink in it doesnt look as good then i tried my epson printer and it does a good picture that looks truer to the color also after i printed the picture and took the paper off the back i let the picture dry for about 1/2 hour and soaked the fabric with the picture on it in some cold water and bubble jet rinse layed them out to dry on a towel and then after they were dry i pressed themand they looked just like the photo!!

sharon b 05-17-2010 04:03 PM

I use the Electric Quilt Printable fabrics. Just run it htru my HP printer ( set to photo quality) let set for 15 minutes, soak for 10 minutes are you are done :thumbup: Sew like regular fabric

user15356 05-17-2010 04:09 PM

Where can I find those supplies?

sharon b 05-17-2010 04:13 PM

Electric Quilt printables are available at Joanns , not sure about WalMart or Hancocks . After I did a couple and likes the way they worked I went to Ebay and bought a pack of 100 for $89.00

littlehud 05-18-2010 07:28 AM

I found mine at Hancock Fabrics. I just use me regular printer. They turned out great.