Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t24455.html)

sandyk 08-21-2009 11:58 AM

Hi Is it ever acceptable to piece batting? I am making a stained glass wall hanging & I was going to piece batting for it. I have batting leftovers from projects & hate to throw them. You all have such good quilting skills. I thankyou much

sewjoyce 08-21-2009 12:01 PM

Yes, I piece batting all the time. Butt up two pieces under your sewing machine foot and zig-zag away.....that way your "seam" will be flat and once it's in a quilt, no one will ever know :D

Prism99 08-21-2009 12:04 PM

You can piece batting. Here's the method I prefer.

Overlap 2 pieces of batting. Cut a wavy line through both with a rotary cutter (maybe 4 to 6 inch curves). Discard the 2 wavy ends. The remaining pieces of batting will fit together perfectly. Use a tailor's hand tacking stitch on each side of the cut to secure the 2 pieces together. (Google tailor tacking, or watch Susan Schamber's video on how she bastes her quilt sandwich to see how that stitch is done.)

The reason for making the wavy cuts through both is so you don't end up with a "crease" in your quilt where the batting joins.

Moonpi 08-21-2009 12:05 PM

Of course you can piece binding, It is less apparent if you overlap the pieces a little, then cut a wavy edge through both edges. Remove the excess and but together and whipstitch kust enough to hold them. Your quilting stitches will hol;d the batting in place.

I can't believe we all answered within the time it took to type a reply!

NorBanaquilts 08-21-2009 12:07 PM

Funny you should ask...I was just getting ready for tomorrow's mystery quilt and I ended up using 3 pieces to get the 28" X 28" I needed.

katier825 08-21-2009 12:25 PM

I also have a question regarding the quilting of a piece using pieced batting.

When you do piece your battings, do you need to quilt more closely together in order to help it stay in place? Say for instance, if I had a star block that I was going to stitch in the ditch around, would that be enough to hold it in place, or would it require closer stitching like stippling or an allover quilt pattern?

Shemjo 08-21-2009 12:33 PM

If you piece your batting like the methods above, I see no problem with quilting it as you would a regular batting! I have never had any difficulty.

katier825 08-21-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
If you piece your batting like the methods above, I see no problem with quilting it as you would a regular batting! I have never had any difficulty.

Are the ones you did used frequently, or are they wallhangings? I wouldn't hesitate on a wall hanging, but I do make a lot of baby quilts that have to hold up thru lots of washing and loving.

Shemjo 08-21-2009 01:08 PM

These were baby quilts!

katier825 08-21-2009 01:49 PM

That's good to know! I was saving my batting scraps for placemats and table runners, but now I won't hesitate to use them for quilts too. Thanks!