Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pinning or basting of your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinning-basting-your-quilt-t171145.html)

bnlmom 12-06-2011 03:04 PM

The video is a good idea if you have a wall big enough!
Right now I need to convince my husband to expand the living room to have enough room to lay out my quilts!

Lori S 12-06-2011 03:49 PM

I gave up pin basting after my first try with spray basting. It was a life changing experience! I no longer dread that whole process. Its faster , more consistant results.... and rarely and i do mean rarely do I ever get a pucker on the backside.

annesthreads 12-06-2011 09:15 PM

The friend who taught me to quilt had me spray basting to hold the layers together and then pinning. I've only recently realised that spray basting can replace the pins completely. But how much spray do people use?

jaciqltznok 12-06-2011 09:18 PM

welcome from Frozen OK! I see the gang has given you many great replies thus far. Good luck and happy quilting!

deemail 12-06-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Granny 7 (Post 4756558)
I have been quilting for about 10-15 years but not daily. Even put it away for years when the grkids came along. I have always pinned my quilt sandwich in the floor, but I am no longer able to do this due to various health problems. But I want to qet some tops finished. Does anyone have any suggestions so I won't kill myself to sandwich it??

please check out the Flynn Frame...it has 3 rails so that you don't have to baste it. It is used on a sewing machine most frequently now, but it was originally developed for a hand quilter. The two things I like most about it are the 'No-Basting,' the adjustability of size (you just purchase new pipes for the new length and put the same fittings on them), and the fact that you can stand it right behind a door to store as it is only about 3 inches thick. I put mine over the arms of my rocking chair and move it back and forth as needed, putting a tv table under one end to support it as i work on the opposite end...the middle areas all balance on the arms. check out the site...and see how it goes together....the last 3 minutes of his video are where they talk about the hand quilting....
http://flynnquilt.com/
ps...they are for sale other locations...ebay for 129 and allbrands.com for 99 (without rails)

Prism99 12-06-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4758640)
The friend who taught me to quilt had me spray basting to hold the layers together and then pinning. I've only recently realised that spray basting can replace the pins completely. But how much spray do people use?

Light spray basting is recommended, and some brands are better than others. I prefer 505. Especially on a large quilt, it's a good idea to pin around the outside edge to keep the 3 layers from separating there.

katydidkg 12-07-2011 04:44 AM

I think the Sharon Schambers quilt basting method looks like it would work. Google it, also think there's a you tube video.

mummadee 12-07-2011 04:51 AM

I used fusible batting and the tables at the local library, and had a friend help me baste. With my arthritis the floor is out.

majormom 12-07-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4756587)
Google the Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. She has her tutorials on Youtube. My DD and I used her method for the last quilt we finished. So much easier that getting down on the floor and pinning. Her tute shows her sandwiching a small quilt but it worked for our 70x70 quilt with a little practice.

I believe this is the best way to sandwich a quilt especially if you are handicapped in any way. This is how I do a larger quilt. If I am doing a QAYG quilt, I baste on the machine. I find the center of each square, and then on each square I sew very large stitches using water soluble thread in the bobbin and needle. I sew from the center to the sides and then from the center to each corner. Yes, I know it's a bit more work, but believe me it keeps everything where it should be! :-) I alway wash the quilt once it is done so the my markings and the disolvable thread will be removed. So easy.
With a larger quilt of course, and with Sharon Schambers method you need to baste with regular thread or Perle Cotton (it holds the sandwich together better because it is a little rougher and won't budge) I never depend on pins and find them awkward to use.

Taino Jan 12-07-2011 09:15 AM

I spray baste everything but my sister is devoted to Sharon Schamberg's method. Let us know what tips work for you.