Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help! Searching for a Log cabin block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-searching-log-cabin-block-t205243.html)

Ariane911 11-06-2012 05:01 AM

Please help! Searching for a Log cabin block

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for the attached block! I've looked everywhere and came up with nothing. I'm hoping someone here has seen it before and can shed some light on to what it's called, or anything:-). And no it's not a regular log cabin block...it's darker fabrics run diagonally down the center of the block.

Thank you!

DebraK 11-06-2012 05:05 AM

I think that is just a matter of placement. If turned the other way the lights would run diagonal. I could be wrong though. Sorry, not that helpful, but I don't mind taking a look around.

MTS 11-06-2012 05:33 AM

It is a regular log cabin block, but instead of using a single fabric for each log, these logs are split using 2 fabrics, light and dark.

The change of fabric is just shifted over to create the diagonal effect.

Neat.

eta: It's pieced as the Courthouse Steps variation.

grammy Dwynn 11-06-2012 05:47 AM

Cannot really help, but agree with the other posters that it is split logs.

I also wanted to welcome you to the board!

DebraK 11-06-2012 05:48 AM

yes, from what I can tell, it is a simple log cabin started with a large center, with a couple of light cornerstones added at the beginning, and you just build out from there. I'll bet you can easily draft this out on graph paper.

QuiltnNan 11-06-2012 05:58 AM

welcome to the board, and i agree with all the prev advice

MTS 11-06-2012 06:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the outline of the block.

Note that the center is 3x as wide as the logs.

For instance, the center is a 3" square, with 3 rounds of logs. The total FINISHED size is 9".

I made a boo-boo while drafting it and included an extra round (blacked it out) when, in fact, there is sashing between the logs.

I was too lazy to change it so the quilt below shows the extra round in each block - that's why there are two lights where the blocks intersect, when there should only be one.

(I colored one corner of the last round dark so it would more closely resemble the picture.
Like I said, I'm lazy.)

But you should get the idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374756[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374757[/ATTACH]

DebraK 11-06-2012 06:02 AM

you're good ;-)

Ariane911 11-06-2012 06:11 AM

Thank you for everyone's advise
And all the warm welcomes!!

And holy wow, mts!! Thank you!!! You seriously saved me another day of searching then drafting by hand hahaha!

MTS 11-06-2012 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@Ariane - you can see the sashing and cornerstones highlighted below - which, with the three rounds in each block, blends together nicely, creating a much more interesting image.

Plus the use of numerous fabrics - controlled scrappy - helps with the blending.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374759[/ATTACH]