Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-wound bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-wound-bobbins-t19120.html)

Ducky 04-17-2009 08:53 AM

When I first got my Pfaff a few years ago, one of the staff told me about pre-wound bobbins for quilters. She said they hold much more thread, so they last longer. This store has since gone out of business, so I can't ask them. Anybody buy these? Is the thread good quilting thread? Do you like them...or not like them? And, do you have to order them on-line?

Ducky 04-17-2009 09:14 AM

One more question, Loretta. My machine has a sensor that tells me when the bobbin is running low....Is their bobbin clear or is there a way I can still have the sensor work with it?

Kmshir 04-17-2009 09:23 AM

I have a Juki sewing machine on a little gracie frame, I bought some prewound bobbins from Bayside Quilting they work great but they were 100% cotton and I'm new at all this and not sure if these prewound polyester bobbins would work as good, anyone know?

Ducky 04-17-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks, Loretta. I went on the first web site link you gave me. I ordered some bobbins, needles and thread. I appreciate your help.

BellaBoo 04-17-2009 01:28 PM

I keep a tube of them in my sewing tote to use when I go to classes. It's easier to use those then to have to bring home empty bobbins . And there will be someone in class who runs out of bobbin thread and can use them too.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-17-2009 01:34 PM

I almost bought some pre-wound bobbins (the ones made of cardboard) when I first got my Brother embroidery machine. It advises against it in the owner's manual. IT said the machine wouldn't work properly with them. I don't think that machine would work properly if you look at the wrong way, though. I bet the bobbins would be great for my other machines. I see you ordered some, and I hope they work great. Let us know.

KGoodhand 04-17-2009 03:51 PM

I have never seen cardboard ones. I wasn't sure about the pre-filled bobbins because my manual also said use only 'their' brand (Kenmore) but I went to a class and the teacher had two for each student in a special color to match what were doing and they worked great! I had no problems what so ever with them! I am going to keep my eyes open for them more often now!
Kendra

Cathe 04-17-2009 04:22 PM

Do you use them for quilting? Or just piecing and general sewing?

thimblebug6000 04-17-2009 05:08 PM

The ones I purchased are on clear plastic bobbins and my Husqvarna Sapphire 870 does not indicate when the bobbin is low with them... nor does it with the blue Husq. bobbins from my Lily 540....I have to use the green Husq. bobbins for my machine to indicate when the bobbin is running low. I don't usually piece with the bobbins that are pre-filled I usually just use them if doing fancy stitching with a stabilizer behind them. The thread is definitely lighter maybe a 60 wt ??? and I usually piece with a 50 wt.

littlehud 04-17-2009 05:30 PM

I have seen them and been tempted. Haven't got any yet. After reading this I think I'm going to try them.