Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pretend this isn't a stupid question! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pretend-isnt-stupid-question-t74109.html)

klgreene 11-03-2010 05:43 PM

I got an email from Connecting Threads today. They have thread on sale. I am going through thread like it's water. Sometimes I have some pretty crumby stitches, so I figured it's the thread. So my question is......The Essential Cotton Thread they have on sale in sets of colors. Can that be used for piecing on a machine, as well as quilting. I'm fairly new to machine quilting, and I have a ton of hand quilting thread that I know is just to thick. So can I use this at $2.19 for 1200 yds a spool, as compared to Hobby Lobby $5.15. Or is there something else I should be using. I'm quilting up a storm, but not happy with all my stitches. Almost all my fabric is cotton, so was just wondering. I'm spending more on thread than material.

WANNABEE 11-03-2010 05:51 PM

Yes you can use their thread for both piecing and quilting

Chele 11-03-2010 05:53 PM

I love Connecting Threads thread. My machine hearts it too. All I can recommend is buy a spool or two and see how your machine likes it. The price is quite reasonable, but if your machine hates it, you'll need to try others. Sew some practice pieces and look at the stitching top and bottom. Machine quilting is difficult enough. Get the thread that works for your machine.

amma 11-03-2010 05:53 PM

You can use thicker thread for quilting, just not the handquilting thread. It has a wax coating and will gunk up your machine :wink:

Connecting threads has wonderful thread for piecing and quiltiang :D:D:D

Jan in VA 11-03-2010 05:54 PM

Most of us LOVE their thread for these purposes!
Have at it and save (??!!) money at the same time :lol:

Jan in VA

gale 11-03-2010 05:57 PM

I didn't have good luck with CT thread (the cotton). It was super linty (even worse than coats and clarks) and broke a lot. Maybe I got a bad spool.

klgreene 11-03-2010 05:57 PM

Oh good, I was used to just buying by color, never really check what it was made of but I've read it so many times on this board about thread, I just wasn't sure. Some of my thread is so old, the paper ends are gone, so I have no idea what they are made of. At least this way I will know.Thank you so much.

SaraSewing 11-03-2010 05:59 PM

I don't spend more on thread than fabric. I use up odd colors of Coats and Clark, and have great luck. Maybe if I were making a masterpiece showcase piece I'd consider something else, but for now, C&C is what I'm perfectly happy with.

CGail 11-03-2010 06:10 PM

I haven't tried Connecting Thread threads yet. But I think I will now. - Cynthia

Rachelcb80 11-03-2010 06:20 PM

I know it's crazy but there's that voice in my head that says it can't be good if it's so inexpensive. :P

But I bought a tester spool awhile back and have been more than happy with it. I've been using Mettler thread mostly and price is the only difference I notice between it and Connecting Threads. I bought a cone of Masterpiece and HATE it. I've been using it for my bobbin when piecing but I'll be glad when it's gone.