Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   putting the quilt top and back together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/putting-quilt-top-back-together-t186362.html)

paintbug 04-17-2012 05:37 AM

putting the quilt top and back together

I was wondering how most of you hold the front, back and batting together to quilt. do you use pins or spray adhesive, or do you use a different method?

Kim T 04-17-2012 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by paintbug (Post 5147913)
I was wondering how most of you hold the front, back and batting together to quilt. do you use pins or spray adhesive, or do you use a different method?

I tried the spray basting and did a couple that way, but I am now pinning and I really like it better. It seems easier to me

Hemlock Tea 04-17-2012 05:57 AM

I use about a bajillion quilter's safety pins. I've never tried spray basting, though I've wanted to. I have a hard time getting the back straight and pucker-free. I can see me trying to spray baste and getting the batting on all crooked and cursing trying to get it straight and it's all stuck down...

Joy.lynn 04-17-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea (Post 5147982)
I use about a bajillion quilter's safety pins. I've never tried spray basting, though I've wanted to. I have a hard time getting the back straight and pucker-free. I can see me trying to spray baste and getting the batting on all crooked and cursing trying to get it straight and it's all stuck down...

If your back is puckering, try starching it. I starch backing quite heavily, and no puckers. Works for flannel too.

romanojg 04-17-2012 07:08 AM

I either tape my backing down to a flat service or pin it to a makeshift design wall, then I spray baste it with June Tailors spray; I can get it at Walmarts and it's so much cheaper than 505 which I've compared the two and get the same if not better results from JT. Then put the batting; spray and then the top. It holds for along time which is really good since I rarely ever get to stay on task long enough to get one thing done before I start another one. I've tried the pins but they get in the way and sometimes it's hard to prejudge where you are going to sew to pin them out of your line of sewing.

ptquilts 04-17-2012 08:15 AM

I baste with thread, usually 8 pieces and maybe a few extra on the edges. HOWEVER, I am hand quilting, I understand you need to be much fussier for machine quilting. Any wrinkles on the back I can deal with as I move my hoop.

ETA - I have used basting spray many years ago but was scared off by all the warnings on the label about cancer etc. Has it changed since then?

Buckeye Rose 04-17-2012 08:44 AM

tried pinning once, never again....tried spray basting, will never do anything else! spray basting is so easy and fast that I will never pin again. starch is your best friend - it will make the sandwich slide easier under the needle, as well as help keep the puckers from happening on the back - more is better (it washes out). If you do a search here, you will find many threads and many differing opinions on the best way to sandwich/baste your quilt.

Lori S 04-17-2012 08:49 AM

When I discovered spray basting.. it completely changed my quilting life! It seemed no matter how many pins , how much I ironed/pressed , no matter how careful I was making the sandwich...... I always ended up with PUCKERS! But with spray basting .... my dreams of puckerless quilting came true!

Tartan 04-17-2012 08:53 AM

The best results I've had are with Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. I am going to try spray basting this summer. I watched the Youtube video of Patsy Thompson (I think) she does hers on a wall. it looked like it works really well.

leggz48 04-17-2012 08:56 AM

I put everything on the floor with backing down then batting and then the top. I baste with a long needle from corner to corner, then side to side. If the quilt is very big, I also baste around the edge. I leave long tails at each end. Never had a problem with puckering. I've not tried the spray, but it sounds promising. Good luck!