Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about JoAnn's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-joanns-t177554.html)

newbiequilter 01-30-2012 12:07 PM

Question about JoAnn's

This morning I was parked in the lot across the street from the back of JoAnn's and I saw a JA employee dumping items into a large trash bin. She was tearing the end off small rolls, then unrolling the item (appeared to be ribbon) from the roll and throwing the whole thing into the bin. I know there are some members of this board who have been/are employed by JA and I was wondering if they or anyone else might know why perfectly good items would be thrown away as opposed to donating to schools, senior center, etc. I am not trying to cause trouble for JA, just wondering what might be going on....thanks.

Up North 01-30-2012 12:18 PM

A lot of stores do this, returns to Walmart get thrown in a trash bin out back even if nothing was wrong, My GF's DSIL worked for a landfill and said you would be amazed what they throw in there, My DDIL worked at hobby Lobby and said it made her sick at the things they had to put down the chute.

Deb watkins 01-30-2012 12:27 PM

So....if someone was waiting by the dumpster, could they be a pre-dumpster picker-upper?

Up North 01-30-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 4926049)
So....if someone was waiting by the dumpster, could they be a pre-dumpster picker-upper?

They are not allowed to do that but a dumpster diving expedition may happen later!! LOL

Up North 01-30-2012 12:36 PM

I used to peek in the dumpster at work all the time, Not retail, and once found a whole roll of upholstery fabric that I covered a window seat, Rocker and foot stool with, I also found a cool picket fence one time.

gramajo 01-30-2012 12:38 PM

I don't understand the reasoning behind having to throw away these items. Why can't they be donated to some place that could use them? Is this corporate policy or what? If this is corporate policy, maybe we can/should contact the corporate offices to complain about the waste. I can understand dumping food products that are out-of-date, but ribbons, etc.?

Up North 01-30-2012 12:39 PM

Another thing that is tossed are books, and magazines, we had to send in the covers to them for credit and Patterns had to be taken out of the envelope, the envelopes were sent in for the credit, that was a long time ago but I think the same applies now.

luvTooQuilt 01-30-2012 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 4926059)
They are not allowed to do that but a dumpster diving expedition may happen later!! LOL

Just be careful.. Some places dumpster diving is considered 'stealing' ..... I know- crazy !!!

Up North 01-30-2012 12:50 PM

I worked for a local health agency, The things in the dumpster were thing no one longer wanted or needed, I would not really go dumpster diving especially at a retail store, that would be stealing as they are given credit for those things so they have to be tossed as sad as it is.

CraftyCricket 01-30-2012 12:56 PM

I was just at JoAnns this morning, I never thought of checking the dumpsters. You would think that the stores would at least just put the items on sale...50 60 heck even 90 percent off to sell it and they would at least get a little bit of their money back. Seems like a big waste to me.