Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about your sewing rooms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-your-sewing-rooms-t177121.html)

sewbeadit 01-27-2012 05:42 PM

I would go for the basement in a snap. Room is a precious commodity and if you have it use it.

justme 01-27-2012 07:13 PM

My sewing room is in the basement, never a problem during the winter or summers. Love it for all the room. Can leave whatever I am working on without a worry about a mess. Hubby is down there with me in the tv portion. Would not trade it trade it for a smaller place!

morelcabin 01-27-2012 07:32 PM

I would carpet the basement room...carpet is warmer, and best of all, traps the threads into the ONE room. I have had both. My current room is lamenant flooring, but I have a carpet under my sewing areas just to keep the thread in the one room...otherwise it is like dog hair..all over the whole house:)

MaryLane 01-27-2012 08:58 PM

Hmmm....I suppose I have both - against my will. I don't really like basements. I have resisted strongly having a sewing room down there BUT my quilting machine is down there. I am still trying to figure out a way to have everything in the biggest bedroom on the second floor. He says it can't be done.

Currently I have 3 machines going at all times and a 4th part of the time in a 8.5 x 12 room. I don't like stuff on the wall. I have a cutting table shoved back in the corner under the eave that takes up 2' of the 12' length. I have a closet on the opposite end. It is a northern room but I love it in the summer when I can open the windows and here my fountain in my water garden.

I say do what works best for YOU. I could have almost our entire basement but I would be miserable. So, I stick with my little space right now and run up and down the stairs for excercise.

I did move the ironing board to one of the other bedrooms now that the kids are gone. It also gets me exercise!

sassey 01-27-2012 10:34 PM

i live in a mother in laws apartment in the basement of my sons house. It is as comfy dry and cheerful as any other apartment. The plus side is if you don't want to answer the door no one knows you are home. My living area is carpted my studio is tiled. I have no problem with moisture however in summer time I do run a dehumidifier. When sevear weather hits I am safe and can continue working on my projects.

whinnytoo 01-28-2012 03:56 AM

My sewing room in in the basement and I LOVE IT. I dont have to pick up everything when I quit for the day, its a big enough space (24 X 25) that I have several machines set up, including a longarm, and lots of room for shelving and fabric. I run a dehumidifier in summer when its needed, in winter there is heat. Its a partially finished basement , with phone, tv, computer and anything else I need or want.

subyz 01-28-2012 04:26 AM

Let me add to the comfort/cold floor issue: If you are going to put down some kind of flooring anyway: Look at radiant heating possibilities! Lowe's has an electric mat (I am not home so I don't have info) that we installed ourselves that is heavenly! It has a thermostat and heats in minutes. We keep it on all winter in our bathroom and the electric bill did not even register a blip , but electricity is still relatively cheap in VA (for a short while anyhow). The mats come in different sizes and you can connect as many as you need. I would not do the whole room, only where my machine was going to be. You aren't trying to heat the room - just your tootsies! http://www.suntouch.com/diy/

Pieces2 01-28-2012 04:57 AM

I would prefer the bedroom to the basement. Your bedroom has a closet which can provide a lot of storage shelves for your stash. I would remove the clutter from your sewing room/bedroom. Quilting stuff only!!!

GABBYABBY 01-28-2012 04:57 AM

I sew in the basement and love it!!! So much more room. I originally was sewing in a room that was
10 by 10 and it was my sewing room and office too. It got really crowded. So, I sold the pool table
down in the family room and moved all my machines down there (except my treadle).

Quiltlove 01-28-2012 05:03 AM

I have a sewing room upstairs and just installed natural daylight track lighting all around the room. Wow, what a pleasure it is to have all that lighting. You could do this in the basement.