Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question all you quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-all-you-quilters-t225737.html)

tessagin 07-13-2013 07:41 PM

I purchased pre-cuts and none of them have measured to what they're suppose to be. Can't blame it on Walmart since they have some. I just buy yardage and cut myself. If you have the rulers you need, then do it yourself. When you think about it some of the pre-cuts can get pretty pricey. I try to buy yardage on sale and at estate sales.

Tothill 07-13-2013 09:53 PM

As a new quilter (long time garment sewer), I love precuts. I especially like the YouTube Videos put our by Missouri Star and their Daily Deals http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/dailydeal They tell you how many different prints are in each package and how many (not always which ones) will be repeated.

I made a quick, but pretty quilt for my mil for her birthday using a Jelly Roll.

I made a easy table runner using charms.

Precuts are great for new quilters who do not have a lot of rulers and special tools.

They are also good for people like me who are not the best at coordinating fabrics.

I am currently making a simple dress for my niece using a jelly roll and coordinating yardage. I found the pattern on the Moda Bake Shop.

For well established quilters with lots of rulers, tools, patterns and colour experience they are probably not practical, but they are great for me.

DOTTYMO 07-13-2013 10:11 PM

I think you have to try to find out if you like precuts. Ask for them as gifts and try to keep in one range to begin with. The same as all fabrics some are better than others I used a batik which was cheap to buy, the lengths were not straight , measurements varied and fabric was of a poor quality. You get what you pay for.
You would require a large stash to put 21 different fabrics in a jelly roll.
Look at some of the precut videos in msqc in utube and make a decision as these show the variety in a pack.

YukonViv 07-13-2013 11:54 PM

I see a lot of how pre-cuts are more expensive, that really depends on where you live so be sure to check out your own costs. A metre here is $19...ajelly roll usually has 40 2.5 inch stripes so that would be over two metres. $40 for a jelly roll is actually cheaper and you get the entire line of one fabric line.

I buy charm squares mostly just because it's a convenient size.

NJ Quilter 07-14-2013 04:18 AM

I agree with many of the comments you've already gotten. I'm not a big fan of pre-cuts. I like to pre-wash my fabric and as someone else mentioned, pre-cuts are not washer friendly. They are also generally, but not always, more expensive. I did, however, buy a charm pack to add to yardage for a quilt a bit ago. The pattern called for varied 5 inch squares cut however. Since I needed a variety it was worth it to me in that instance plus cut down on doing alot of pre-cutting.

winia 07-14-2013 07:06 AM

Jelly rolls are 2 1/2 inch strips that are the width of the fabric. A charm is a 5 by 5 square, and a layer cake is a 10 by 10 square. I buy them all, plus I buy yardage. It depends on what you want to make. Charm pack quilts or charms, whether you cut them yourself or not, are usually good beginner quilts to make. You can use the 2 1/2 inch strips for sashing also. The 10 by 10s can be cut into four 5 by 5s. The strips can be sewn together to make pot holders and table runners and place mats and quilts also, either uncut or cut.

I would suggest you start slow and make an easy quilt first. There's lots of them that have free patterns on the internet.

MartiMorga 07-14-2013 08:15 AM

I have bought pre-cuts but mostly when they are the Daily Deal with Missouri Star Quilt Company. It is a good deal and if you buy with it so is the $5 shipping fee. Of course the little more effort on their part is a bonus. I also use those in some of the tutorials they make. I like getting the entire fabric line also. Better than trying to buy a 1/4 yard and making 5" blocks of each pattern.

mom-6 07-14-2013 08:27 AM

I've been very happy with the batik jelly rolls from Walmart. Did not get any others from them because I did not care for the non batik ones they had.

Have also gotten holiday and seasonal FQ from Walmart but again did not care for the other selections they had except for a black/white set.

And cheapie me only gets them when they go on clearance!

jcrow 07-14-2013 08:54 AM

I am another who loves pre-cuts. I buy pre-cuts and yardage for sashing and borders from the fabric line of the pre-cut. I am a happy camper. I've been quilting since 1992. It sure beats buying tons of fabric and cutting 2 1/2" strips from each bolt! I also use regular fabric all the time. It just depends on what I want to do. But I like pre-cuts.

BellaBoo 07-14-2013 09:01 AM

I'm definitely not cheap when it comes to my quilting but I do find good sales and stock up on precuts. Precuts save me time. And the happy feeling I get when I see a baskets and shelves full of jelly rolls, Bali Pops, layer cakes and charm squares in my sewing room is worth the price to me.