Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for hand quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t48687.html)

teddysmom 06-07-2010 07:23 AM

Has anyone used the simply cotton batting or the 100% bamboo batting?

thismomquilts 06-07-2010 07:25 AM

and if so - do you like it?

dkabasketlady 06-07-2010 07:31 AM

I'm a hand quilter, but have not used these products. I'm also interested in finding out if anyone has & what they thought about each product!

mrsdralshhadeh 06-07-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
Has anyone used the simply cotton batting or the 100% bamboo batting?

I have used the simple cotton batting. It is easy for my hands n needle to go through... hope this help!!! :thumbup:

Bluphrog 06-07-2010 08:02 AM

The batting I have used is a low loft 80/20 cotton/poly blend (either Hobbs or Warm & Natural purchased at JoAnn's), and it was fine.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 06-07-2010 08:03 AM

No but I finished my first hand quilted kids quilt last night and i used some new flannel that was in my old stash. Worked really nice. I didn't want it too thick. It wasn't for Downy Kids Quilts.

ann clare 06-07-2010 08:13 AM

Have not seen it here. Use warm and natural. Would love to give it a try.

Jois 06-07-2010 08:45 AM

Bamboo batting after quilting seemed lifeless.
No spring, no something I probably can't describe.
I didn't think it draped right.
Just unhappy with it.

Saving my other bamboo batt for making fat-quarter sized changing pads for babies and for the bottom of my dog's crate.

Warm and natural is much better all the way around but I couldn't resist trying something new. While bamboo is a natural fast growing tree the conversion to fiber is not without cost and not lauded for its greeness in the making of the fiber.

Jois

CAROLJ 06-07-2010 08:55 AM

I haven't used it but a friend of mine used the bamboo and said if she could afford it she'd use it on every quilt. She raved about how nice it was to quilt. I think there is a cotton bamboo mixed that is a bit cheaper.

How does the bambbo stand up to washing?

ckcowl 06-07-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jois
Bamboo batting after quilting seemed lifeless.
No spring, no something I probably can't describe.
I didn't think it draped right.
Just unhappy with it.

Saving my other bamboo batt for making fat-quarter sized changing pads for babies and for the bottom of my dog's crate.

Warm and natural is much better all the way around but I couldn't resist trying something new. While bamboo is a natural fast growing tree the conversion to fiber is not without cost and not lauded for its greeness in the making of the fiber.

Jois

did you wash it after ? the one i did with bamboo was wonderful after it was washed, plumped, soft...i loved it! my favorite batting to use hand or machine though is the wool batts, i absolutely love using them. they wash up wonderfully, are oh so soft, breathable, warm...and a joy to needle through. and if you look around you can find them for about the same price as warm & natural or hobbs 80/20
i've also used the green batt , which is made from recycled plastic bottles...it was ok to work with, and so far is holding up well...only downfall---it's green...so you cant put it into a light colored quilt. it will show through ( i machine quilted this one though, so i don't know how it is to needle by hand)