Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for hand quilters

Has anyone used the simply cotton batting or the 100% bamboo batting?

and if so - do you like it?

I'm a hand quilter, but have not used these products. I'm also interested in finding out if anyone has & what they thought about each product!

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    I have used the simple cotton batting. It is easy for my hands n needle to go through... hope this help!!! :thumbup:

The batting I have used is a low loft 80/20 cotton/poly blend (either Hobbs or Warm & Natural purchased at JoAnn's), and it was fine.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No but I finished my first hand quilted kids quilt last night and i used some new flannel that was in my old stash. Worked really nice. I didn't want it too thick. It wasn't for Downy Kids Quilts.

Have not seen it here. Use warm and natural. Would love to give it a try.

Bamboo batting after quilting seemed lifeless.
    No spring, no something I probably can't describe.
    I didn't think it draped right.
    Just unhappy with it.

Saving my other bamboo batt for making fat-quarter sized changing pads for babies and for the bottom of my dog's crate.

Warm and natural is much better all the way around but I couldn't resist trying something new. While bamboo is a natural fast growing tree the conversion to fiber is not without cost and not lauded for its greeness in the making of the fiber.

Jois

I haven't used it but a friend of mine used the bamboo and said if she could afford it she'd use it on every quilt. She raved about how nice it was to quilt. I think there is a cotton bamboo mixed that is a bit cheaper.

How does the bambbo stand up to washing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jois
    Bamboo batting after quilting seemed lifeless.
    No spring, no something I probably can't describe.
    I didn't think it draped right.
    Just unhappy with it.

Saving my other bamboo batt for making fat-quarter sized changing pads for babies and for the bottom of my dog's crate.

Warm and natural is much better all the way around but I couldn't resist trying something new. While bamboo is a natural fast growing tree the conversion to fiber is not without cost and not lauded for its greeness in the making of the fiber.

Jois
    did you wash it after ? the one i did with bamboo was wonderful after it was washed, plumped, soft...i loved it! my favorite batting to use hand or machine though is the wool batts, i absolutely love using them. they wash up wonderfully, are oh so soft, breathable, warm...and a joy to needle through. and if you look around you can find them for about the same price as warm & natural or hobbs 80/20
    i've also used the green batt , which is made from recycled plastic bottles...it was ok to work with, and so far is holding up well...only downfall---it's green...so you cant put it into a light colored quilt. it will show through ( i machine quilted this one though, so i don't know how it is to needle by hand)

I have used everything and anything. I have no problem with the Bamboo or the all cotton. I basically purchase whatever will give me the look I want and hopefully it is on sale. I would prefer Dream Cotton Request for a special quilt. I don't mind working with poly if it is the thinner stuff. I like it for children's quilts and things I want to "Pop" when they are quilted.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I loved bamboo batting in the quilt I used it in. It needled very nicely, and it had a gorgeous drape. Light weight, soft --very nice.

I usually use cottons. Someday I'm going to try a wool batt, just to see what it's like.

I've used a 100% cotton batting (needlepunched and not needlepunched) and Bamboo/cotton blend. Both of them are great for my purposes, they produce an antique look of the quilt and are easy to needle for handquilting.

I normally use warm & natural but am working on a small wall hanging using Hobbs 80/20 -- and the Hobbs is winning so far :D :lol:

In a word-WOOL. It's the best

I have heard that the bamboo batting will leave brown stains on light fabrics. I have not witnessed this personally but I do think about that when considering buying it. Perhaps worth some research before putting into a quilt you have spent much time and $ on.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    I am hand quilting a queen size with bamboo batting. I really like it, but for the price difference, I am not sure it is worth it.

You might do a search on bamboo batting here. There was a thread discussing it earlier this year.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33882-1.htm

Try that thread...

I have used the Warm and Natural cotton batting. I love the batting, but NOT for hand quilting. It is hard to work with. I only take 3 stitches at a time but I still bend my needles...this is the only batting that I have had a problem with. Love it for machine quilting!

Blog Entries
    How does Wool launder, and can you machine dry, or must it be line dry?

Power Poster
    I like the warm and natural from Joanns

I usually use warm and natural or warm and white batting. I have tried simply cotton - very easy to hand quilt - no bearding. I used to use polyester, but now prefer cotton battings. Have never used bamboo - the color could throw me because I usually always have light fabrics in my quilts.

So far have only tried warm and natural, and that for machine quilting. I have a small piece I plan on hand quilting...will see how it goes...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    How does Wool launder, and can you machine dry, or must it be line dry?
    I think the Hobbs wool batting is guaranteed against bearding and shrinking, but check their website to make sure. Most other wool batts I would not trust to machine dry, and bearding can be a problem with wool batts -- especially if laundered by machine.

Between Warm and Natural and Hobbs 80/20 I really prefer the Hobbs. To me it is so much easier to hand quilt and I love the finished results. It has a softer finish and a little bit more loft.

The Hobbs wool is also a dream to hand quilt and gives a nice antique look to a quilt once laundered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast