Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for you Longarmers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-you-longarmers-t208178.html)

#1piecemaker 12-11-2012 07:17 AM

Question for you Longarmers

When you are doing a continuous pattern (pantograph) on a quilt. do you usually go from outer edge to outer edge or do you stop at the borders and quilt them differently? I have been trying to stop at the borders and there have been a few times that I really got involved and went right on through. I hate to rip. Any suggestions?

kristakz 12-11-2012 07:46 AM

I never stop at borders, if I'm doing a pantograph. But if I wanted to, I would just mark where the borders start by placing a piece of paper on top of the pantograph at that point. Can't get carried away, if you can't see the pattern :) This is what I do to mark the edge of the quilt all the time, so I don't waste time/thread quilting backing fabric alone.

dunster 12-11-2012 08:03 AM

I don't do pantographs, but I have noticed that most longarmers who quilt for others have separate prices for pantograph or pantograph with separate border treatment. That makes me think that it's pretty common to stop at the borders, or not, your choice.

wolph33 12-11-2012 10:26 AM

I never stop at the borders with a pantogragh.you can -but pantos are designed to be an edge to edge design.

feline fanatic 12-11-2012 10:38 AM

I rarely do pantos but when i do I go end to end and don't stop at borders.

Here is a good trick. Go to wallmart and buy yourself a clear vinyl shower curtain liner. Cut it down to the width of your LA table (it won't be long enough you will have to cut two pieces. One curtain will be ample for a 12 ft table. Tape the vinyl to your table at the top ONLY so it is like a flap. When you place your panto lift your vinyl flap and put your panto under then bring the clear vinyl over your panto. Now you have a clear vinyl protector for your pantos. You can put a piece of painters tape down over the vinyl where you are to stop and and start and it helps keep your panto clean and protected.

TexasSunshine 12-11-2012 01:20 PM

We bought clear medium weight vinyl to put over the pantos to protect the pattern.

2011wannaquilt 12-11-2012 02:44 PM

I just finished binding a quilt that has a 2 inch border. I decided not to use the panto on the border, and it looks kinda floppy. This is only about the 5th quilt I have done on my Tin Lizzie so I am still learning. Getting ready to load a Carpenters Star and free motion feather quilt per Patchwork Times tut. Wish me luck.
Carolyn

momto5 12-11-2012 05:23 PM

If I'm using a pantograph, I go edge-to-edge. If not, the borders are usually separate. Good luck!

AliKat 12-11-2012 05:41 PM

If I wanted that look then I would continue with the continuous panto into the border.

However, with some quilts I want to do the borders directionally or different.

It all d epends on the quilt and what I want.

ali

#1piecemaker 12-11-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5713401)
I rarely do pantos but when i do I go end to end and don't stop at borders.

Here is a good trick. Go to wallmart and buy yourself a clear vinyl shower curtain liner. Cut it down to the width of your LA table (it won't be long enough you will have to cut two pieces. One curtain will be ample for a 12 ft table. Tape the vinyl to your table at the top ONLY so it is like a flap. When you place your panto lift your vinyl flap and put your panto under then bring the clear vinyl over your panto. Now you have a clear vinyl protector for your pantos. You can put a piece of painters tape down over the vinyl where you are to stop and and start and it helps keep your panto clean and protected.

A clear piece of plastic came with my machine and table to protect my pantographs so I didn't have to worry about that or they would probably look like some of my cookbooks.hehehehe! Thanks for all of the advice. since I've never really seen a whole lot of machine quilting, I am just full of questions.