Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Backing...am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backing-am-i-only-one-t131550.html)

quilt-fanatic 06-19-2011 01:48 AM

I ALWAYS look at the back of the quilts - prefer a whole piece (print is nice) but I want the back to be as nice as the front.

leiladylei54 06-19-2011 01:48 AM

I've only done single piece backing but as mentioned above, using up the extra fabrics, strips or blocks makes a lot of sense. I might try it next time when I have extra pieces that could be used in the backing.

mom-6 06-19-2011 02:23 AM

I like some of the pieced backings I've seen, but some don't really seem to be 'right'. I have so far only done single fabric backings with a single seam to make it wide enough. I do like the idea of a pieced strip connecting the two parts of the backing.

bigsister63 06-19-2011 02:30 AM

I piece the backs. I do not think that it is that hard and besides I ususally can not find wide backing fabric that goes with the quilt top. Also I think that wide backing fabric is nmore expensive that 45" fabric.

Hen3rietta 06-19-2011 02:41 AM

Mostly I make solid backs, but on occasion I have pieced a back. Sometimes just to use up leftover fabric from the front, sometimes as a design choice.

DOTTYMO 06-19-2011 03:19 AM

I tend to do both. If it is a simple quilt and I want to finish it I use one piece.
Sometimes I have to piece as the colour I have only comes in small pieces. Not my favourite as I also plan it goes exactly in place and it takes ages to sandwich correctly.

I hate wasting time because nobody notices the time you took over matching the two. I did one for a show and put it in double sided. I heard some ladies say.@you would have thought she had made the seams straight' If she had thought the other side had wavey musical stave and the seams matched the black lines.

Do what you want please yourself.

mizunogirl 06-19-2011 03:23 AM

I usually use a sold back, because thats how my Mom taught me, Ha ha. Old habits.

I've been doing a lot of baby quilts latley (I dont know but all my friends are expecting!) and I've been doing traditional cotton designs on the front and using flannel for the backing so it will be extra soft. I'm sure there's someone who would disapprove of mixing the fabrics, but the new Mom's seem thrilled that it's soft.

quilticing 06-19-2011 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I piece the backs. I do not think that it is that hard and besides I ususally can not find wide backing fabric that goes with the quilt top. Also I think that wide backing fabric is nmore expensive that 45" fabric.

Wide backing @ $10/yd is comparable to $5/yd - the cost equals itself. This would be for 90" fabric. Most wide backing is 105-110".

cowpie2 06-19-2011 03:37 AM

I like both pieced and whole backs. Some of the pieced backings add so much to the looks of the quilt. For the quilts I make I try to use only one whole piece with no seams. I hand quilt. Right now I'm working on a quilt where I pieced the back and every time I hit one of those back seams I'm reminded why I don't like to work on quilts with pieced backs. Less of an issue for machine quilting.

tupoms 06-19-2011 03:37 AM

I only piece as much as I have to get the backing size I need.
ava