Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ?quilt in the ditch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-ditch-t59787.html)

jemma 08-16-2010 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i plan to quilt in the ditch on a medallion with 6x6 inch squares in 3 rows arround ---do i have to press all the seams open or can i do the one row pressed opposite to the other[so they lock together] i have the special pfaff foot for stitching in the ditch but not yet used it

ckcowl 08-17-2010 02:26 AM

i would press a row in one direction then the next opposite so the seams lock. i only press seams open when bulk is a problem or if a pattern instructs you to do so for some reason(and then sometimes i ignore them) but locking seams is much easier to put together.

it is going to be beautiful!

quilterella 08-17-2010 02:39 AM

[quote=ckcowl]i would press a row in one direction then the next opposite so the seams lock. i only press seams open when bulk is a problem or if a pattern instructs you to do so for some reason(and then sometimes i ignore them) but locking seams is much easier to put together.

The quilt is going to be gorgeous,the colours are beautiful, please post pictures when finished.

lindyline 08-17-2010 03:46 AM

The advise I got from LQS, was to press seams open if your meandering/ stippling, and press alternate sides to create a ditch to stitch in. Nice quilt by the way.

Kitsie 08-17-2010 07:44 AM

I tried the SID foot that came with my Brother once but found I could not get right into the ditch. It only has the foot on one side. A full foot presses down on both sides of the seam and (for me) allow me to get right in there. You might want to try on a scrap first.

I've always heard to press to one side and sew on the "lower" side.

amma 08-17-2010 09:52 AM

I am a renegade LOL I press seams open and to the side, however I feel it will make the quilt top go together easier.

I like to use a wobble stitch for SID. It is a VERY narrow zig zag (almost a straight stitch) and I catch the fabric on either side of the seam. I havent had a problem using this with seams pressed open or to the side. It is also way more forgiving if you are off a bit than a straight stitch is :wink:

I don't like "having" to stitch only on one side of the seam line, it doesn't always work out evenly spaced on some quilt patterns, so I started using this method :D:D:D

gale 08-17-2010 09:56 AM

I like that wobble stitch idea. I have only tried playing around with SITD with non-invisible thread and I'm not good at it.

amma 08-17-2010 09:57 AM

It makes a cute, but subtle design element on the back too :D:D:D

Kitsie 08-17-2010 12:24 PM

Whoa, Amma, you must be very accurate to pick up fabric on either side! I also press to whatever side, (or open) looks and feels best.

littlehud 08-17-2010 07:31 PM

I usually press to the side. It does seem to work better for me.