Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ?quilt in the ditch

i plan to quilt in the ditch on a medallion with 6x6 inch squares in 3 rows arround ---do i have to press all the seams open or can i do the one row pressed opposite to the other[so they lock together] i have the special pfaff foot for stitching in the ditch but not yet used it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    i would press a row in one direction then the next opposite so the seams lock. i only press seams open when bulk is a problem or if a pattern instructs you to do so for some reason(and then sometimes i ignore them) but locking seams is much easier to put together.

it is going to be beautiful!

Blog Entries
    [quote=ckcowl]i would press a row in one direction then the next opposite so the seams lock. i only press seams open when bulk is a problem or if a pattern instructs you to do so for some reason(and then sometimes i ignore them) but locking seams is much easier to put together.

The quilt is going to be gorgeous,the colours are beautiful, please post pictures when finished.

The advise I got from LQS, was to press seams open if your meandering/ stippling, and press alternate sides to create a ditch to stitch in. Nice quilt by the way.

Blog Entries
    I tried the SID foot that came with my Brother once but found I could not get right into the ditch. It only has the foot on one side. A full foot presses down on both sides of the seam and (for me) allow me to get right in there. You might want to try on a scrap first.

I've always heard to press to one side and sew on the "lower" side.

Blog Entries
    I am a renegade LOL I press seams open and to the side, however I feel it will make the quilt top go together easier.

I like to use a wobble stitch for SID. It is a VERY narrow zig zag (almost a straight stitch) and I catch the fabric on either side of the seam. I havent had a problem using this with seams pressed open or to the side. It is also way more forgiving if you are off a bit than a straight stitch is :wink:

I don't like "having" to stitch only on one side of the seam line, it doesn't always work out evenly spaced on some quilt patterns, so I started using this method :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I like that wobble stitch idea. I have only tried playing around with SITD with non-invisible thread and I'm not good at it.

Blog Entries
    It makes a cute, but subtle design element on the back too :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Whoa, Amma, you must be very accurate to pick up fabric on either side! I also press to whatever side, (or open) looks and feels best.

I usually press to the side. It does seem to work better for me.

thank you all--i am going to have a go [practise] the wobble stitch--this quilt is for a raffle--my dad was in the army he always said NEVER voluteer i think i was dobbed in i dont remember volunteering!!!!

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is gorgeous!

When you stitch in the ditch, it works best if you can sew on the fabric that is on the bottom. This way the top fabric hides the stitches better. It isn't always possible, especially when you press the rows opposite.

If you press the seams open and stich in the ditch, you will weaken your seams and risk them splitting.

I have always done it where the seams were pressed opposite of each other. I love your quilt. Please post a pic when it is finished!