Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilt shop quandary...what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shop-quandary-what-would-you-do-t170834.html)

Eddie 12-03-2011 03:53 PM

A quilt shop quandary...what would you do?

3 Attachment(s)
Attached is a pic of a section of a fat quarter that I bought at a quilt shop (not immediately local). As you can see, there are several defects in it: (1) that darker streak down the left side of it, and (2) even worse there are vertical whitish streaks over the entire left side of the fabric and part of the right. The only usable section is about an 8" swath through the FQ. When I unfolded it, the section showing on the outside of the FQ was the good usable section. So here's the quandary - should I tell the shop owner where I bought it? I feel 100% sure the shop owner did NOT do this, I feel is was probably one of her girls in the shop who didn't care or was simply working too quickly to pay attention. And then I also wondered if LQS's buy pre-cut FQs from distributors? I believe this is a Jo Morton line, so is major name-brand.

I don't care about the money spent for it, small amount, but if a shop does this regularly then they'll lose customers, and I really, really, REALLY like this shop and don't want to see them go under due to stuff like this.

What would you do?

Holice 12-03-2011 03:57 PM

of course, tell the shop about it and show it to them. If flawed then should be replaced.

woody 12-03-2011 03:59 PM

I would bring it to their attention, in a nice way. If I was the owner, I would want to know about things like this so I can make sure that the staff understand that it isn't acceptable. If poor storage in the store caused it, you would look at ways to fix it, or if it came from the manufacturer like this, then the store owner would want to take it up with them.
Good to see you Eddie, I've missed seeing your beautiful work.

Xstitshmom 12-03-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 4748104)
of course, tell the shop about it and show it to them. If flawed then should be replaced.

Totally Agree with this!

Margo in Maine 12-03-2011 04:00 PM

Absolutely take it back and show it to them...a good shop owner will make it right....

crazy_quilter 12-03-2011 04:08 PM

Definitely tell them. I am sure the owner will want to know, Better to make it right than having bad comments spread around

Yooper32 12-03-2011 04:11 PM

Doesn't matter in my book if it cost 20 cents or $20.00, if the fabric is flawed, it is worth nothing. Take if back and show and tell.

Rose L 12-03-2011 04:12 PM

The beginnings and ends of the bolts sometimes look like this. I'd just take it in show the owner and ask if she'll replace it. If she won't then you can question her motives.

mighty 12-03-2011 04:14 PM

I would tell them. Seems like the right thing to do so they will not lose business. Word of mouth can make you or break you.

Newby0709 12-03-2011 04:17 PM

Eddie, if the shop is not immediately local, would you consider sending the photos via email to get their reaction and take it from there? Perhaps scan a copy of the receipt, also. I think they would want to know.