Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilters under the age of 40?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-under-age-40-a-t27248.html)

diogirl 10-17-2009 07:29 PM

Just wondering how many of us there are here. I'm 36 and my 12 year old daughter said quilting makes me old...haha. :lol: I'm sure there are lots of younger quilters out there. I'm wondering if we have any teenagers on here, or early 20's? I'm hoping to get her interested in the art and fun of quilting...

Shelanie 10-17-2009 07:32 PM

I'm 33 and my best friend and husband tease me because I quilt, wear sweaters and count change. Apparently that makes me "old lady". It's a good thing I can play kickball, it's the only thing that saves me.

peaceandjoy 10-17-2009 07:33 PM

Sorry I can't help you... I'm fast approaching 50! But I did start quilting when I was in my mid-30's. Well, that was the first time I finished a quilt.

For what it's worth, the people that I work with - even those who are older than me - think that quilting is for old ladies. Little do they know! And honestly, when I've been fortunate enough to go on retreats, the older ladies are really the ones who are the wild ones!

dallasnewsgirl 10-17-2009 07:33 PM

My future daughter-in-law, 25, isn't on the board, but she quilts. We went to a quilt show last Saturday. But I have to admit I didn't see many young people there.

cutebuns 10-17-2009 07:35 PM

I am not under 40, But I have kids and they are into doing some stuff, my 15 year old comes in and plays around the most right now. Has done some stuff totally on her own, and she likes to play with the embroidery machine as well. All three of my kids are in the kids doll quilt swap, so even my 13 year old son is going to make a doll quilt. We also have several men here on the board that do some great stuff.

retrogirl02 10-17-2009 07:39 PM

I'm barely under the mark LOL...but started about 4 years ago. I teach a set of twins who are just 12. They're wonderful! They both like very different aspects of quilting from each other but that keeps things interesting. =)

justwannaquilt 10-17-2009 08:03 PM

26!

If quilting makes me look old, I would hate to know what crocheting, or hand embroidery makes me look!! lol

catchergirl01 10-17-2009 08:07 PM

I am 26. I started quilting when I was twenty. I think you would be surprised by the number of younger people who are quilting. My friend and I started a quilt guild for graduate students from my university. We have gotten a number of other students to start quilting.

I would check to see if there is a group in your area with younger people in it if your daughter is interested. Although I love to see what "older" quilters are doing, I am much more comfortable quilting with people closer to my age.

Happy quilting!

Eddie 10-17-2009 08:09 PM

This is kind of funny. My oldest daughter (19) refers to this forum as "all your old lady friends". :D

And I'm 48. :lol:

joeyoz 10-17-2009 08:37 PM

I, too, am fast approaching 50. I started quilting about 11 years ago and my husband always refers to it as my old lady mode.LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: