Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilters under the age of 40??

Just wondering how many of us there are here. I'm 36 and my 12 year old daughter said quilting makes me old...haha. :lol: I'm sure there are lots of younger quilters out there. I'm wondering if we have any teenagers on here, or early 20's? I'm hoping to get her interested in the art and fun of quilting...

I'm 33 and my best friend and husband tease me because I quilt, wear sweaters and count change. Apparently that makes me "old lady". It's a good thing I can play kickball, it's the only thing that saves me.

Sorry I can't help you... I'm fast approaching 50! But I did start quilting when I was in my mid-30's. Well, that was the first time I finished a quilt.

For what it's worth, the people that I work with - even those who are older than me - think that quilting is for old ladies. Little do they know! And honestly, when I've been fortunate enough to go on retreats, the older ladies are really the ones who are the wild ones!

My future daughter-in-law, 25, isn't on the board, but she quilts. We went to a quilt show last Saturday. But I have to admit I didn't see many young people there.

I am not under 40, But I have kids and they are into doing some stuff, my 15 year old comes in and plays around the most right now. Has done some stuff totally on her own, and she likes to play with the embroidery machine as well. All three of my kids are in the kids doll quilt swap, so even my 13 year old son is going to make a doll quilt. We also have several men here on the board that do some great stuff.

I'm barely under the mark LOL...but started about 4 years ago. I teach a set of twins who are just 12. They're wonderful! They both like very different aspects of quilting from each other but that keeps things interesting. =)

26!

If quilting makes me look old, I would hate to know what crocheting, or hand embroidery makes me look!! lol

I am 26. I started quilting when I was twenty. I think you would be surprised by the number of younger people who are quilting. My friend and I started a quilt guild for graduate students from my university. We have gotten a number of other students to start quilting.

I would check to see if there is a group in your area with younger people in it if your daughter is interested. Although I love to see what "older" quilters are doing, I am much more comfortable quilting with people closer to my age.

Happy quilting!

This is kind of funny. My oldest daughter (19) refers to this forum as "all your old lady friends". :D

And I'm 48. :lol:

I, too, am fast approaching 50. I started quilting about 11 years ago and my husband always refers to it as my old lady mode.LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I am only 45, but my kids always call me Grandma when I quilt :shock: And I don't even have any Grandchildren :cry:

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm 41. I don't think I like typing that out loud. :(

There would be more quilters under 40, if it were easier to quilt with kids around. Quilting takes a lot of little pieces in organized piles and there is nothing toddlers hate more than organized piles!

So far I am the 'old lady' here, 55 next b-day. I started crocheting, embroidering, and sewing all around 10. Crocheting has alway's been my thing until my ex boss, under 47, got me into quilting about 5 years ago, now. Used to love to watch my DGrandma & her 'old lady' friends quilt. They were old! :lol: :roll:

Forgot to say my DD, 33, has tried to quilt and has a better stash of fabric than I do and is continually buying more. I think she may have a fetish. She is also leaning towards better fabrics than I can afford right now.

Ageism and misogyny are rampant. Can't escape the stereotypes related to any craft.

I remember the granny comments back in my Montessori days. Yes, a 5 year old can be "so old lady!"

Even now, we're still seeing the "not your grandmother's" whatever.

The lesser known stereotype of the pseudo-hip-chick-obsessively-crafting-rather-than-creating-a-future-for-herself will have her day in the derision spotlight... Maybe... if there's a successful sitcom involved.

Are there any old lady stereotypes for "real" art or is it limited to the oft maligned art and crafts?

I'm over 40, but I started my first quilt in my early 20s in college. (It never got finished, but I would have continued if I'd found a class back then.)

I started at about 20, I am 41 now!

Hi girls, I feel I'm intruding on young airspace at 57 but I've been indulging in various crafts since my school days. I think the enjoyment of a craft whatever it may be, brings people together regardless of age.

OK, I confess, I'm 62 this past Aug & proud to just be alive. My grandchildren & their friends consider me the "ole' lady/grandma, etc." However, I resemble their remarks. I'm the one they bring their Prom dresses to to alter though. Had bilateral total knee replacements in July, so as body parts wear out, I'm gonna have them replaced & in a few years I'll be young again. That is if my brain still works, I'll tell them I can catch up with them in a few years.

Please tell your daughter that her Mom is still a Spring Chicken compared to some of us on the Board (whether they confess to their age is another thing). Good luck in convincing her.

*jumps up and down happily*

Me too! Me too!

LOL

I'll be 38 this Friday. When I go to our guild meeting my friends all say I've gone off to "old lady's class". Not sure if they mean it's a class full of old ladies, or a class learning to be an old lady! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    This is kind of funny. My oldest daughter (19) refers to this forum as "all your old lady friends". :D

And I'm 48. :lol:
    That is too funny! :lol:

Banned
    i'm 46 and all my friends and loved ones think its an older persons craft.

we were at a quilt show about 2 weeks ago and we were the only people in the room who weren't of retirement ago - DH made the comment that the craft is literally dying off.

I think there is a teenager on this board. A friend of mine who quilts is 41 and she has 5 sons, 4 still at home. She also has no dedicated sewing room and has to put everything away after working on it. But she has made several quilts and she crochets too! Maybe it keeps her sane?!

Me, I'm 50 and have quilted for 6 years. But my own mother has told me I was born 'old'!

I'm 34 with young children (7 and 5). Went to the international quilt show yesterday and really felt like the youngest person there.

One of the things I enjoy about going to guild meetings is that it makes me feel young... My friend and I are both late 40's, and we're definitely amoung the youngest members. Well, that would be using numbers to judge age. There are definitely some very young-at-heart folks there; I hope to be like them when I am their age.

I'm under 40! I'm 35 and have been quilting since I was 26ish. (put it up for a few years but kept the stash! :lol: ) I've always been crafty in one way or another, crocheting, painting, drawing ect.... I would go crazy if I didn't have some sort of project going on!
    Right now I'm ready to dig out my box of yarn and make a few of these chemo caps to donate to the local cancer treatment center. They have a knit pattern too but i'm not to experienced with that. haha
    http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt10.htm

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast