Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Well, I'm not under 40, but my 26 & 24 year old daughters have both quilted and enjoy it (though the younger of the 2 enjoys it more; she & I spend most Sunday afternoons on quilting projects).
Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 AM

I am 21!! I started sewing at 12 and started quilting at 18. I haven't posted anything but I love seeing everyone's pictures!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

I turned 50 this year, but at the annual Utah State Quilt Festival, they gave an award to everyone who is 50, because that is the average age of all quilters! Yeah, prizes!

I have been sewing since I was 10 years old, and spent many hours together with my two younger sisters and Mom in the sewing room making projects for 4-H..... I started quilting about eight years ago when I found a bag of unfinished Log Cabin blocks that my Mom had started before she passed away. It would have been her first pieced quilt. I brought it home, finished it and gave it to my Dad for Christmas. I was hooked.

My triplet daughters and I joined a block of the month club when they were 13, and began our own quilting journey together. They're now almost 20, and we all enjoy quilting and spending time in our own sewing room together. Actually, Quilting was something we could all do together, and each of us have won multiple sweepstakes and awards at quilt shows and county and state fairs, even one of my girls placed in a national 4-H demonstration with her quilting. Quilting for cash and prizes! Gotta love it! Then, of course with us all quilting, I just had to take the next step and bought a longarm machine about 5 years ago. I still have a pile of 20 of my own quilt tops just waiting to be quilted while I quilt for everyone else...

I love quilting. I love the connection I feel with the women in my family who have gone before, and I love quilting and spending time in the sewing room with my own daughters. And now when one of them comes to me and says, "Hmmm, I think I want to make a quilt..." That is the payoff!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

I'm 61 and just starting quilting in Febuary of this year.So I'm old and new
Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I know lots of younger quilters...I am 52 and definitly the senior in our little piece of the world.
My son was 26 when he started quilting, my nephew 22, his girlfriend 18, both of my granddaughter's finished quilts before they were 10...my youngest granddaughter made her first quilt out of her own stash when she was 4 (to send to her daddy in Iraq) it was twin sized and she stood on a dresser to quilt it herself on my big machine.
any girl (or boy for that matter) that has any interest in fashion or anything to do with textiles should be happily experimenting with color and fabrics making quilts, we encourage all of the young people to jump right in. they are very receptive. I have a family friend with 5 little people...as each of them enter preschool we (the class, teacher, assistants, and myself) create a new quilt to make and raffle for their end of year field trip and we make one for the class, the kids LOVE doing this!!! and the boys are better at most of it than the girls... :mrgreen:
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I may not be 40, but I made my very first quilt in my 30's.
Been sewing since age 10, and would have started quilting much younger, but I had never been around it.
My mother took a class after i got married.
My grandma made us all our own quilt, but she live hours away and I never saw her working on one.
I am already teaching one of my five year old granddaughters.
This may have been 'an old lady thing', years ago...but no more...and it ain't just for ladies :wink:
It's for anybody smart enough to know a good thing! :D
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Hi Everyone, I had a few min. and spent them skimming over all the posts on this thread.It is amazing to me there are only a few people in their sixties and over. The most of you are in the twenties and thirties A few in the Fifties range with the rest in the forties. :lol: :lol: Who said this was an old ladies craft needs to look at this thread. :lol:
I am 65,have 2 daughters,5 grandsons , 2 Grt.Grnds and one in the oven baking as I speak. :D
Been sewing all my life. Been interested in quilting as long as I can remember. But didn't take it up until Christmas 2004. Been going hard at it ever since.
Age doesn't matter But repetitive work such as pieceing is good for the Brain. Helps with all those dementias of the brain so my Doc. told me. So we all should be really sharp as tacks when we do get real old, Don't you think?
BillsBonBon

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM

I am 32 with a 3yr and 7mos. Finding the time to quilt takes alot of work but its worth it. My oldest sits with me in my sewing room and colors while I saw. I hope as she grows she will continue to have an interest in mommy's crafts.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM

This is great topic! I too am well over 40 (57), and have been quilting for 3 years. I have sewn since I was 10, and always made most of my clothes, and those of my kids'.
Since I was forced into 'early retirement' due to cancer, I am enjoying every spare minute teaching myself quilting, new blocks and patterns, and designing some of my own. What a wonderful therapy this is!!
So very happy to see so many younger people into this hobby. I wish my 17 yr old daughter would let me teach her, but alas , more interesed in her friends. My 28 yr old twin sons have taken up upholstery repair and drapery and related home dec sewing. Go figure !!
THis is my first post, and I am so happy to get involved. I have been reading posts for quite a while. Maybe I will post some of my work.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM

I started last yr when i was 25