Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Just barely under 40. I started quilting in the last year and half or so. My BF's kids think she's having a mid-life crisis because she started quilting about when I did. Although, now her 8th grade daughter wants to make her own quilt and her 18 year old son wants her to make him a quilt. HA.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM

I to am just under 40. No one has called me an old lady. (at least that I know of)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM

I am just 26 and I quilt, I also knit, crochet- especially intricate lace like doilies or shawls, spin, weave, sew- before I had my little girl I used to work as a seamstress sewing custom fur, leather and police uniforms. From what I am seeing there is a growing interest in my generation for these types of crafts, my SIL embroiders and she is a lead singer in a punk band, I have tattoos, wear alternative clothing and have purple hair, and I am a genetics major, so I don't think you can pick what someone is interested in by looking at them. I love seeing how traditional crafts meet modern youth culture and how they seem to add to and innovate and revitalise each other.

These crafts are really our heritage as women, and I think it is vital we don't let them go by the wayside, the right for women to knit for a living in the big knitting guilds was really one of the first feminist victories, previously only men were admitted. These "insignificant" crafts were how women kept their families clothed and warm, and provided one of the few income sources for women. Sorry for the long ramble, when I get going I do get going
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Just turned 40. I come from a long line of seamstresses however I wanted nothing to do with it (I got the lowest grade on the home ec apron with a d - even the boys did better than me!) but I fervently started sewing at 39 and show no signs of stopping!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by diogirl View Post
Just wondering how many of us there are here. I'm 36 and my 12 year old daughter said quilting makes me old...haha. :lol: I'm sure there are lots of younger quilters out there. I'm wondering if we have any teenagers on here, or early 20's? I'm hoping to get her interested in the art and fun of quilting...
I started the year I turned 27, and I am 30 now. My oldest DD is 10 and quilts with me, as well. She still hasn't finished a quilt, though, lol. She has one finished top (a doll quilt) and two quilts in progress. My youngest DD prefers to sew smaller projects, but she's still only 8.