Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting...can it be overdone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-can-overdone-t186595.html)

hperttula123 04-20-2012 03:57 AM

I prefer heavier quilting. There is something about the texture of it after it is washed. I could run my hands on it all day long. Some of my smaller projects, I purposely quilt really heavy just so I get that. If the thread matches the quilt, it doesn't take away from the quilt itself. That's just my opinion. :)

IAmCatOwned 04-20-2012 07:19 AM

Oh, yes, it can be overquilted. If you overquilt, you lose the loft and thus the warmth of the quilt. Not an issue if you want say, a coverlet or a wallhanging. Lots and lots of quilting looks fabulous, but unless you want a summer quilt, you have to do less.

I have seen some very heavily quilted quilts at quilt shows and I can't say that I've ever seen one so quilted that you can't see the pattern of the quilt. Maybe it was the quilter's thread choice rather than the quilting?

gollytwo 04-20-2012 07:23 AM

Many,many of the long arm quilting I see on the Board I'd call way overdone.
It looks like quilting for the sake of quilting - having no relationship to the quilt pattern itself.

I've yet to see a handquilted one that I'd call overdone.

justflyingin 04-20-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sally J (Post 5154669)
I think it's like all things with quilting, to each their own. I don't do lots of fancy quilting just because I do it on my home machine and because I want the quilt really soft. I admire those "fancy" quilted pieces but just don't have the skills, or really the desire to try it.

I'm with you here.

zennia 04-20-2012 08:10 AM

I like soft quilting so you can see the design in the piecing. Sometime they are way over quilted. But it is truly what you like.

feline fanatic 04-20-2012 08:42 AM

This question is like asking can a quilt have too much blue? Everyone has their own feelings of what they like or don't like on just about everything, including quilts.
Heavy quilting in itself is a matter of opinion. I suppose the quilts I have posted here would be considered overquilted but I spend a great deal of time studying any quilt before it goes on my rack. I always try to acheive a look that compliments the piecing.
However, like Heather, I love the texture and the look. I am drawn to quilts where the quilting is that something that makes the piecing just shine. Or picks up on a motif in a fabric. I love the kind of stuff Green Fairy does, like that horse quilt with the compasses quilted, that to me was beyond beautiful but I suppose to others it was considered overdone.

I also think that business about a quilt becoming stiff as a board due to being to heavily quilted is hogwash. The batting is what causes the stiffness with heavy quilting. W&N is notorious for losing its drape when heavily quilted, so use a different batting.

MaryLane 04-20-2012 04:13 PM

Just quilted a baby quilt and used a much denser edge to edge pattern than I ever have. For me, it is way over quilted. But, if feels a lot like the baby quilts my grandmother made my children. I think I will stick with less is more for me personally.

aronel 04-20-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5154538)
yes, a quilt can certainly be 'over-quilted' if the quilting over powers the quilt-
quilting should enhance- not take over- and sometimes people seem to just get a bit 'carried away' and they fill a quilt up with so much quilting that it winds up being stiff as a board- and the quilt itself is lost somewhere under all that thread.
but it is a personal choice too- some people like very dense quilting- others like a large--easy quilting style-
but no matter what kind of quilting a person likes it should enhance the quilt

I agree totally! Some quilts just appear stiff from too much quilting.

jitkaau 04-21-2012 02:44 AM

As long as the quilting enhances the quilt I am happy with it. Anything over the top can always be hung on the wall for decoration.

labtechkty 04-21-2012 03:04 AM

Yes..I am working on a quilt now and am not happy with the way it looks..so I am going back to take some of the stitching out...bummer...having said that I have to agree with everyone else and say it really depends on the piece you're quilting...some just call for alot...some call for alittle...