Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting in the summertime (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-summertime-t133758.html)

debbieumphress 06-28-2011 07:24 AM

I always quilt in the summer but I definitely have to quit making afghans. The crochet yarn is just too hot to play with. Does anyone else quit quilting when it is hot? I know the thought of making a quilt in temps over 100 is funny. But then again, we are quilters. What do you do in the summer if you don't quilt?

kathy 06-28-2011 07:26 AM

i should, and spend more time yard tending and cleaning house but i just can't stop making quilts! i am saving the binding for cooler weather tho

scrappy happy 06-28-2011 07:29 AM

I do some sewing in the summer but not as much as when the temps turn cold. When it gets so hot that we have to have the air on than I go and sew. Otherwise here in wisc you better enjoy the summer when u can, cause old man winter is long lol

debbieumphress 06-28-2011 07:32 AM

Scrappy happy. I can see that. And I agree with working in the garden, mowing, etc. Lots to do outside. I am usually outside more myself but can't right now. Somehow the sun can cause damage to my face right now after surgery so hiding. Then when it's really hot, we have a/c and off we go to sew. Hey NP3 sound familiar????/ I sew, I sew, so off to sew I go? ROFL. OK not funny maybe, I know you just finished a week show with the girls on Snow White. It just popped up.:)

debbieumphress 06-28-2011 07:34 AM

I know a lady who takes her machine and quilting and sets up next to her hubby's car when he shows it in car shows. I think she posted it on here. So I don't "know" know her but heard of her. Great thinking. Others are taking projects camping with them, etc. Quilters are die hard people. GOtta love us.

AbbyQuilts 06-28-2011 07:36 AM

I have a friend that is in my quilt club. She stoped coming to meeting about mid April when I asked why she said she is a winter quilter only and I would see her in the fall lol. As for me I make quilts all year but summer I do find I do not as many

sewobsessed1 06-28-2011 07:48 AM

I quit quilting in the summer, it's just too dang hot with no air conditioning and a big ole quilt on my lap! Although, I suppose making crazy quilt and cathedral window blocks would count as quilting, so I take it back :)
I do usually switch to outdoorsey things or X-stitch, or embroidery, or knitting, or making clothes, or crochet, or....lol.

TonnieLoree 06-28-2011 07:55 AM

I have a small clip on fan that I can set up to the right side of the cabinet. At least it keeps the air moving.

Murphy 06-28-2011 08:12 AM

I quilt in between gardening and house cleaning (smile).

Susie Quilter 06-28-2011 08:20 AM

Stop quilting in the summer????? Hot, cold, rain or shine......I'll quilt. Does that tell you that I am addicted to quilting. lol