Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting in the summertime

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I always quilt in the summer but I definitely have to quit making afghans. The crochet yarn is just too hot to play with. Does anyone else quit quilting when it is hot? I know the thought of making a quilt in temps over 100 is funny. But then again, we are quilters. What do you do in the summer if you don't quilt?

i should, and spend more time yard tending and cleaning house but i just can't stop making quilts! i am saving the binding for cooler weather tho

I do some sewing in the summer but not as much as when the temps turn cold. When it gets so hot that we have to have the air on than I go and sew. Otherwise here in wisc you better enjoy the summer when u can, cause old man winter is long lol

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Scrappy happy. I can see that. And I agree with working in the garden, mowing, etc. Lots to do outside. I am usually outside more myself but can't right now. Somehow the sun can cause damage to my face right now after surgery so hiding. Then when it's really hot, we have a/c and off we go to sew. Hey NP3 sound familiar????/ I sew, I sew, so off to sew I go? ROFL. OK not funny maybe, I know you just finished a week show with the girls on Snow White. It just popped up.:)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I know a lady who takes her machine and quilting and sets up next to her hubby's car when he shows it in car shows. I think she posted it on here. So I don't "know" know her but heard of her. Great thinking. Others are taking projects camping with them, etc. Quilters are die hard people. GOtta love us.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend that is in my quilt club. She stoped coming to meeting about mid April when I asked why she said she is a winter quilter only and I would see her in the fall lol. As for me I make quilts all year but summer I do find I do not as many

I quit quilting in the summer, it's just too dang hot with no air conditioning and a big ole quilt on my lap! Although, I suppose making crazy quilt and cathedral window blocks would count as quilting, so I take it back :)
    I do usually switch to outdoorsey things or X-stitch, or embroidery, or knitting, or making clothes, or crochet, or....lol.

I have a small clip on fan that I can set up to the right side of the cabinet. At least it keeps the air moving.

Blog Entries
    I quilt in between gardening and house cleaning (smile).

Stop quilting in the summer????? Hot, cold, rain or shine......I'll quilt. Does that tell you that I am addicted to quilting. lol

I quilt less in the summer because I like to spend time in my garden.

I piece in the summer-the window ac is in my sewing room.I quilt if it is not too hot upstairs.I have tons to quilt-have been piecing for months and only quilted a few.

year round for me, have a fan pointed at me and I quilt away. It gets just too hot to do anything outside for me, unless it's going shopping... then August humidity is a killer for doing anything but sew:-)

I do more sewing in the summer because my sewing room is in the basement. Nice and cool. :D

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    I do more sewing in the summer because my sewing room is in the basement. Nice and cool. :D
    Envy! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I love quilting in the summertime. My quilter is downstairs and it's much cooler down there than on our first floor!! I'm downstairs a lot during the summer. Winter is definitely the time to crochet!!

Even if I'm not actually quilting I usually have designs going through my head. We had a time period at Market this past week when there were very few buyers on our floor and none at our end of the row. Just had to doodle a few designs on my quadrille pad! Whether or not they actually become a quilt doesn't matter...it was a fun way to pass the time between groups of people coming by our booth.

I sew, quilt all year round. If I am quilting, I put the quilt on the table and go to town. If I am piecing, then I try to keep it off of me. I would go nuts without something for my hands to do. Now I am Hand quilting a wall hanging. I like to hand piece also.

It is usually a toss up gardening or quilting in the summer. This summer is too dang hot to be out (other than in pool) so I have my lawn people during all my gardening chores until it cools a bit., I be inside nice and cool waiting for sprained wrist to heal. Putting projects together for when I get the go ahead to pick up the rotary cutter...lol.

I think it is about 113 degrees here today. I can only exist with air conditioning and ceiling fans. Gardening in this??? not much, and if I do it is at 6 a.m. Quilting? absolutely, because it is too hot to do much else.

During the cooler months I am more active outside the home. Just not now.

ali

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am looking at the places you all live and can tell about your answers. I lived in Washington state, no a/c but who needed it for two months out of the year. Oregon, got it too. Funny how weather effects us all differently. I love the asnwers we are getting. Such a diverse board. Gotta love us all.♥♥

I never, never, never quit quilting....LOL

me either deebooper love my quilts

I am chucklingaway at your comment!!
    Our Christmas is the hottest time of the year and when, through no fault of mine, most quilting has to be done!!
    Try as I might I seem to do more around December January than any other time and summer n Australia is no joke!!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    I think it is about 113 degrees here today. I can only exist with air conditioning and ceiling fans. Gardening in this??? not much, and if I do it is at 6 a.m. Quilting? absolutely, because it is too hot to do much else.

During the cooler months I am more active outside the home. Just not now.

ali
    Same here Ali. Feed the animals, pick the garden, such as it is, and try to stay in where it's air conditioned the rest of the day. So blazing hot here! Looking forward to October when it finally cools off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast