Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-newborns-no-no-t118561.html)

canuckninepatch 04-24-2011 04:28 PM

I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I want to add something, so that you fellow quilters understand where I'm coming from - I love making baby quilts, and will keep on making them, and giving them as gifts. But as a new gramma-to-be, I am also conscious of the fact that the new guidelines encourage young moms to use sleeping sacks for the first year. I just wondered if anyone had made one using a pattern, and which one they used. Quilts I make will certain be used and loved, but probably not put on top of the baby when he/she is sleeping alone in his crib until he/she is a year old.

erstan947 04-24-2011 04:33 PM

I've heard this before.....I'm so surprised mine lived thru their childhood :) Just kidding....I have not made one but it sounds like it would be the correct thing to do these days.

quilt1950 04-24-2011 04:37 PM

I've made a few sleep sacks, but out of fleece, not quilts. I usually make 'floor quilts'. Just quilts to use when baby is playing on the floor. 'Tummy time' is important for babies, since they no longer sleep on their tummies. Floor quilts are great for this.

pinecone 04-24-2011 04:37 PM

interesting question, I'll be watching too.

piney

Tink's Mom 04-24-2011 04:39 PM

I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.

yellowsnow55 04-24-2011 04:46 PM

If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:

bakermom 04-24-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.

I'm in the same club!! I make quilts and give them away. i figure the parents are the best judge of how they should be used.

canuckninepatch 04-24-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:

what pattern did you use?

quilt1950 04-24-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I do not let this guidance keep me from making quilts for babies. They can be used as a room decoration (hung on the wall, over the back of a chair), a floor quilt for baby to play on, or if a bit larger, as a quilt on a toddler bed. Smaller quilts can become quilts carried around, Linus style, as a security blanket.

TonnieLoree 04-24-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown: