Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Blog Entries
    I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I want to add something, so that you fellow quilters understand where I'm coming from - I love making baby quilts, and will keep on making them, and giving them as gifts. But as a new gramma-to-be, I am also conscious of the fact that the new guidelines encourage young moms to use sleeping sacks for the first year. I just wondered if anyone had made one using a pattern, and which one they used. Quilts I make will certain be used and loved, but probably not put on top of the baby when he/she is sleeping alone in his crib until he/she is a year old.

Blog Entries
    I've heard this before.....I'm so surprised mine lived thru their childhood :) Just kidding....I have not made one but it sounds like it would be the correct thing to do these days.

I've made a few sleep sacks, but out of fleece, not quilts. I usually make 'floor quilts'. Just quilts to use when baby is playing on the floor. 'Tummy time' is important for babies, since they no longer sleep on their tummies. Floor quilts are great for this.

interesting question, I'll be watching too.

piney

I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.

If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
    I'm in the same club!! I make quilts and give them away. i figure the parents are the best judge of how they should be used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:
    what pattern did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?
    I do not let this guidance keep me from making quilts for babies. They can be used as a room decoration (hung on the wall, over the back of a chair), a floor quilt for baby to play on, or if a bit larger, as a quilt on a toddler bed. Smaller quilts can become quilts carried around, Linus style, as a security blanket.

Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:

I have heard that fleece is not good for new borns.

Three Little Ducks Sleeping Bag, from the Book:Quick Kids Quilts by Juju Vail. Fits babies up to 6 months, but is easy to enlarge.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
    Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:

Blog Entries
    Three Little Ducks Sleeping Bag, from the Book:Quick Kids Quilts by Juju Vail. Fits babies up to 6 months, but is easy to enlarge.
    I looked for that online, and found it, but it had been sold in New Zealand. I see you're from Australia so I may not find the pattern here. But I'll see what's in the pattern books here in Canada tomorrow.

Yes, new parents are strongly advised not to put anything in a baby's crib other than the bottom crib sheet. The good news is that the rate of "sudden infant death syndrome" has declined dramatically!

The first decline occurred when parents were advised to put their babies to sleep on their backs. The second came from eliminating every non-essential item from the crib. Hard to argue with these results, especially if you've lost a baby to SIDS!

I agree with Quilt1950's commitment to making "floor quilts" for babies. I assume that s/he uses some sort of flat batting, as anything puffy would put an infant at risk.

I've only made one baby quilt so far with this in mind, but the parents were ecstatic! The quilt came with the promise of washability and the plea that it be used rather than cherished - a winning combination!

Sushi

Do you have a pattern for your sleeping bag? I have a friend due in May, and I think this would be nice in a light weight fabric. Or can you let me know where to find one? Thank you, Elaine

I have made sleeping bags that have a zipper and arm holes. I like them because my babies could not kick them off. As the baby got older I put it on back wards esle they unzip the bag and take it off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation.
    This sounds like it came from the same person who believes that cats will suffocate a newborn. (They won't, just in case you didn't know). And I've worked neonatal ICU and pedi ICU for years. A quilt is just another blanket. It is pillows and other really fluffy things that some recommend not be placed in the bed with infants.

My granddaughter from birth, would pull the blankets over her head!... I told my dd NOT to cover her head for risk of suffocation/strangulation...she told me she didn't but that dgd pulled them over her head on her own... she was sleeping and we went in and dd pulled the covers off dgd face... while we were watching her she reached down and pulled that blanket right back over her head...
    she was maybe 3 months old....

You don't want to have excess quilts/blankets in the crib with the baby but one to cover them with shouldn't be a risk...

I'd be more worried about a GD wiggling down inside a sleeping bag that is attached to her than a quilt.

Each to their own (advice and guidance based on their comfort levels and beliefs) but we've always had blankets/quilts in their cribs. They wore feeted pajamas if they wouldn't stay covered up.

Our 2 sons also covered up their faces (and still do at 25 & 29) when they sleep.

I want quilts to be used and worn out if possible :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Mine three (smile)!

My 2 year old has just started sleeping with a 48x60 "fleece" blanket within the last couple of months. He always had a flannel recieving blanket (45x45) before that. However he sleeps ON it instead of under it.

I am a young mother and a quilter. My children did not sleep with quilts however I still made them for them. There are so many other ways to use a quilt rather than just covering them up in bed. I also made all their recieving blankets because you can't (hardly) buy them in the store big enough to swaddle!

If you are worried about risks of SIDS from things being in the crib pay attention to what your using to make the sleep sacks, OVERHEATING is also a "risk" for SIDS!
    No one really knows what causes SIDS therefore eliminating everything that MIGHT be the cause is what is advised!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Do you have a pattern for your sleeping bag? I have a friend due in May, and I think this would be nice in a light weight fabric. Or can you let me know where to find one? Thank you, Elaine
    just found this on the web http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/201...l-roundup.html

looks kind of neat, and not too warm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I have made sleeping bags that have a zipper and arm holes. I like them because my babies could not kick them off. As the baby got older I put it on back wards esle they unzip the bag and take it off.
    --------------------------
    I used to make them too. I'd simply make the bottom longer, with the sleeves from the neckline to the wrists, bottom of sleeves batwinging down to the bottom of the sleeping sack. Zipper, no holes for little fingers to get caught in, or buttons to swallow.

Blog Entries
    I would be concerned about fluffy and newborn, but not a quilt that is firm. Lots of stuff comes from advertisers to sell their product using scare tatics. This comes from a doctor not me. Think of all the buttons and bows on store bought clothing for newborns. They are way more dangerous that a nice firm quilt.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast