Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:
what pattern did you use?
I have made sleeping sacks with sleeves and hand covers out of fleece. they really are bunting pattern from Simplicity # 5720. they really keep babies warm and can be lengthened and used until baby stands up.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM

I am an RN and I think that a SLEEVELESS sack to put a baby in is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hands and arms get just as cold as feet and legs especially in very young babies who have a poorly developed circulatory system and very little subcutaneous fat to help keep them warm.

Buntings in days of yore covered everything but the babies face and if they turned their head, they could suffocate. Where will it all end? Let the parents decide based on good sense (seemingly lacking here) and what their OWN physician advises.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Our guild makes premmie quilts for our local hospital. They are never turned away. We do avoid flannel as it can get a little fuzzy.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM

I didn't read through this whole thread (sorry, it's 7 pages long) but I saw this tutorial a while back and maybe it could be adapted somehow.
http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2...leep-sack.html
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM

i agree the parents can decide how to use them hopefully they chose the right way keeping the babys safety first
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I've scrolled through all the pages and not seen this advice yet so I'll offer it - with my two (now aged 9 and 6) I was taught 'feet to foot'. In other words, make up the crib towards the foot of the bed with the blanket, quilt or whatever tucked under only at the bottom, NOT at the sides. That way they can't pull it over them or wiggle under and air can still circulate. The problem with quilts rather than sheets and blankets is they are thick so I'd say use a lightweight pure cotton batting, NOT polyester under any circumstances as it doesn't 'breathe'. I also used a room thermometer and adjusted the bedding accordingly - cool is better than too warm. These days, houses are better insulated and often over-heated so this is more of a problem than in the days before central heating. My mother's brother died of SIDS over 60 years ago - times change, research improves, yes, we all survived but there are those who didn't...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Dumbest? really? Babies are supposed to be dressed in a manner that an adult would find comfortable in order to avoid over- or under-dressing them. Do adults all sleep with multiple layers of covers on their arms? Of course not. A sleeveless sleep sack does not mean that their arms are uncovered. Babies wear something under the sack.

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
I am an RN and I think that a SLEEVELESS sack to put a baby in is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hands and arms get just as cold as feet and legs especially in very young babies who have a poorly developed circulatory system and very little subcutaneous fat to help keep them warm.

Buntings in days of yore covered everything but the babies face and if they turned their head, they could suffocate. Where will it all end? Let the parents decide based on good sense (seemingly lacking here) and what their OWN physician advises.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM

I found a free pattern that looks very nice
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sleepsack.html
We used this with my daughter when she was little growing up in Europe and it was awesome -- no kicked off covers!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Dumbest? really? Babies are supposed to be dressed in a manner that an adult would find comfortable in order to avoid over- or under-dressing them. Do adults all sleep with multiple layers of covers on their arms? Of course not. A sleeveless sleep sack does not mean that their arms are uncovered. Babies wear something under the sack.

Yeah, I actually do sleep with multiple layers on my arms when it is cold. Sometimes I even sleep with not only my PJ's but with my thick robe to bed. When my extremities are warm... the rest of me keeps warm.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Try reading again. I wrote, "all". You'll find that it's not common practice when your home is kept at a good temperature.

Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
Originally Posted by Mattee

Yeah, I actually do sleep with multiple layers on my arms when it is cold. Sometimes I even sleep with not only my PJ's but with my thick robe to bed. When my extremities are warm... the rest of me keeps warm.