Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Kas

Well, I had one of those wedgie things that kept them on their sides. I had a fear of them urping while on their backs and aspirating vomit. Not good. I made sure to switch which side they slept on so their heads wouldn't get deformed. I have seen so many babies with lopsided heads or heads that are extremely flat on the back from not changing the sleeping position. I also always swaddled until they didn't like that anymore. Then it was just a blanket over the lower half of them.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Can't help help myself with this one, I must have been a dreadful Mum as I have done everything they now say you shouldn't do to or with your kids these days. How on earth they survived to become healthy well adjusted respectful adults is not only a wonder but a miracle judging by the NO -No's of today. :lol:

I wasn't quilting back when they were young, not even sewing but I did have a friend add an envelop to the bottom of all the cot sheets and blankets so these then became like fitted sheets. Couldn't be pulled up past a certain point but could be pushed down.

Maybe1day
Good idea. I will use this for grandchildren.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM

That's how a mom of (Dec.) twins told me she is using the pair of quilts I made for her! They were nearly finished when she chose nursery colors, so don't match!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM

You may follow the guidelines, but they'll change them again. Back to the question...margarine or butter?

Originally Posted by Mattee
Can we take a step back here? Whenever this topic comes up, it seems like we make mountains out of molehills. It's EASY to follow the sleep guidelines. In fact, it's easier to NOT put things in the crib than to place them in there. It's not burdensome; it doesn't interfere a bit with us enjoying our lives! In fact, it's easier, in part because I know I've followed the best guidelines approved by pediatricians to keep my kids safe.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:
It that why I'm sprouting chin hairs?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the link to the sleepsack! I'm sure I will have grandchildren in the next few years and I can make some for them.

Originally Posted by deema
Here is the tutorial I used, and a pic of my boy in his...

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sleepsack.html
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
rb.

I hate when they come out with these "guidelines", they usually change yearly. When I had my kids in the 90s, you had to place them on their sides, with a towel rolled at their backs...OR ELSE!!! Had my babies not been covered, they'd have frozen to death...or never slept due to being too cold. Sad that common sense seems to have evaporated.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM

I think that is extreme. 12 mos. Lordy I guess they can't be covered until they are walking. A newborn, I can see but 12mos. I don't think so. I used the sleeping bags for my kids when they were small and then the footed sleepers till I couldn't get them big enough but I did it because they wouldn't stay covered and at that time we lived in a cold climate. I would think that little ones would fall and hit their heads on the side of the cribs when they try to pull up. I guess all children should be raised in warm climates till age 1, they won't need blankets :-D
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
me too, and horrible grammy, because my dgk's all got them & made the bumpers to match.....

my dgk are still dragging them around...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM

The sleep bags are great however the quilts are very loved by my daughter for our 2 grands to put on the floor for their tummy time and the 2 year old loves to play on them.